Any File Recovery Programs that Actually Work With Mac OS 10.4?

Reaction score
I deleted some important files accidentally and I have been looking at the file recovery programs that are available for the mac. When I search in Google I specify Mac OS 10.4, but when I download the programs they say they only work with mac 10.5 and up. Does anyone know of a file recovery program that actually works in OS 10.4.11? I am on an Intel Imac. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Tough ask. Data Rescue 3 was sold for OS X.4.11 both PowerPC and Intel Mac and whilst a copy is available on eBay for the full retail price of $99 it may well be no longer supported by the developer, Prosoft. May be best to shoot them an email asking about recovery for OS X.4.11. Here is the eBay link so you can see what itis like:-

Data Rescue 3 Mac Apple Prosoft Free SHIP | eBay

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your answer Harry. It seems my situation may either warrant a data recovery program or a reinstallation of my system software. I am going to post this to the whole community, but I would like you're take on this. I got a little overzealous about cleaning off my hard drive and I used a program called Monolingual. It cleans out all the various foreign language files on your computer. They had all the languages listed in a dialog box that you could check off one by one to mark them for removal. They had English and American English listed as two different languages. They also had French as a choice. I figured all it would do is remove those pesky license agreements that are listed in a million languages on the hard drive. So I checked off all of those odd languages for removal of files, and I left American English (since I am American :) and French, because I've studied it for many years, and I checked "English" for removal. I thought you had to choose between the two. Unfortunately, after the program had completely run, I ended up with French on my Finder! LOL! Now the computer thinks I am French. I love the language, but need to have English back on my Finder and Menus! What do you think is the best method - to reinstall my OS 10.4.11 or try to get the data recovery program you recommended?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Go to Apple's support site and download and run the Mac OS X 10.4.11 Combo which should replace all the language folders you deleted, and next time and before you run such a utility, read the bloody manual!!! :Shouting:

PS: I've used Monolingual successfully for years and it can often remove 4GB of surplus stuff that gets installed without any user choice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do you think is the best method - to reinstall my OS 10.4.11 or try to get the data recovery program you recommended?

Data recovery software in your case would be useless. Reinstall is the only way you're going to get the English language back. And... never, never, use Monolingual. It causes more problems than good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Avoid Monolingual like the Black Plague.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I also have run into software other then MS Office that require languages other than my native english to run.

After the 2nd time I had to reinstall the OS after running Monolingual, I stay far far away from removing other languages.

If 1-4 GB of data is compromising the amount of free sapce you want to maintain, it's time to get a larger drive rather than play around with attempting to remove data installed by the OS or the applications you want to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.