New Macbook Pro Retina Display - Poor Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I bought a new macbook pro with retina display this week (2015 model) and compared it to my old 2012 model and the 2012 model has much better resolution. In fact, this doesn't even look like a retina model (I double checked under this 'About this Mac' info and it says it's Retina. Should I be worried? Is this the new trend?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is this the new trend?

Nope..not a new trend. But when the word "resolution" was mentioned. I bet "user misunderstanding" regarding "retina resolution" is probably at the source of the confusion.;)

Please post the details what the "resolution" issue is…and maybe we can help.:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Nope..not a new trend. But when the word "resolution" was mentioned. I bet "user misunderstanding" regarding "retina resolution" is probably at the source of the confusion.;)

Please post the details what the "resolution" issue is…and maybe we can help.:)

- Nick

Resolution was the wrong word to use. I meant to say the videos from the old macbook pro was much better, clearer, crisper. The images and videos from the new macbook looks of inferior quality. It doesn't even look like Retina Display.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Resolution was the wrong word to use. I meant to say the videos from the old macbook pro was much better, clearer, crisper. The images and videos from the new macbook looks of inferior quality. It doesn't even look like Retina Display.

Yes that is different.:)

If you feel the 2012 MacBook Pro's display is better for these images & videos…then that's how you feel. All I can say is…this is not a common issue.

If you want a newer & faster MacBook Pro than the 2012 model you have. You have to go with a newer MacBook Pro (and they all have retina displays).

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes that is different.:)

If you feel the 2012 MacBook Pro's display is better for these images & videos…then that's how you feel. All I can say is…this is not a common issue.

If you want a newer & faster MacBook Pro than the 2012 model you have. You have to go with a newer MacBook Pro (and they all have retina displays).

- Nick

Don't care about the speed or anything else. I just wanted a newer version of my old macbook pro. I feel as though it's not Retina though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't care about the speed or anything else. I just wanted a newer version of my old macbook pro.

If you don't care about speed/performance…then why would you spend big $$$$ to get a newer MacBook Pro that doesn't offer you anything compared to your 2012 MacBook Pro?

I feel as though it's not Retina though.

What experience do you have with retina display's that qualifies you to make this judgement? If this is your first Apple computer with a retina display…that's not much experience.;)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
If you don't care about speed/performance…then why would you spend big $$$$ to get a newer MacBook Pro that doesn't offer you anything compared to your 2012 MacBook Pro?

What experience do you have with retina display's that qualifies you to make this judgement? If this is your first Apple computer with a retina display…that's not much experience.;)

- Nick

you know the whole conversation was about me comparing my previous retina with the newer one right? so it wasn't the first one.

as for the reason, I don't see why even ask, but I bought it for someone else but decided to keep it for myself in the end (long story)

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you know the whole conversation was about me comparing my previous retina with the newer one right? so it wasn't the first one.

Sorry…I didn't know that your previous 2012 MacBook Pro was a retina model (you didn't mention this earlier).

In 2012…Apple sold both non-retina AND retina MacBook Pro's. Since you did not say that your 2012 MacBook Pro was a retina model…I assumed it was a non-retina MacBook Pro…and this 2015 MacBook Pro was your first Apple notebook with a retina display.

as for the reason, I don't see why even ask, but I bought it for someone else but decided to keep it for myself in the end (long story)

Why ask?? Because in almost all cases…someone purchasing a newer computer is buying it to replace an older computer. In this case (with the information given)…it sounded like you were purchasing a 2015 MacBook Pro to replace your older 2012 MacBook Pro. Which would be a perfectly normal situation.

Then you mentioned not caring about speed. Speed or better performance is one of the main reasons why someone purchases a newer computer. So since you said you didn't care about speed…then the natural question is…why buy a 2015 MacBook Pro…if the 2012 MacBook Pro is doing fine??

THAT'S WHY I ASKED!!!

Also. How in the world am I supposed to know that this 2015 MacBook Pro was purchased for someone else…and then you decided to keep it???

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way. Since you are comparing a 2015 retina MacBook Pro to a 2012 retina MacBook Pro…and you feel the display on the 2015 is not as good.

And considering that the 2015 MacBook Pro was originally purchased for someone else…why not just return or sell the 2015 MacBook Pro if you do not like it??:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Sorry…I didn't know that your previous 2012 MacBook Pro was a retina model (you didn't mention this earlier).

In 2012…Apple sold both non-retina AND retina MacBook Pro's. Since you did not say that your 2012 MacBook Pro was a retina model…I assumed it was a non-retina MacBook Pro…and this 2015 MacBook Pro was your first Apple notebook with a retina display.

Why ask?? Because in almost all cases…someone purchasing a newer computer is buying it to replace an older computer. In this case (with the information given)…it sounded like you were purchasing a 2015 MacBook Pro to replace your older 2012 MacBook Pro. Which would be a perfectly normal situation.

Then you mentioned not caring about speed. Speed or better performance is one of the main reasons why someone purchases a newer computer. So since you said you didn't care about speed…then the natural question is…why buy a 2015 MacBook Pro…if the 2012 MacBook Pro is doing fine??

THAT'S WHY I ASKED!!!

Also. How in the world am I supposed to know that this 2015 MacBook Pro was purchased for someone else…and then you decided to keep it???

- Nick

OK. I am sorry. I really did not specify. I just stated my old model. But why in the world would I be comparing the displays of a non retina model to a retina model? I stated 'old model' because I didn't think anyone would think I would be comparing the display of a retina to a non-retina model!

Yes that's a fantastic reason but what does it have to do with the screen display comparison between two retinas!?

And who said that you were expected to know that? What is wrong with you? That's why I decided to say that I don't know why it should even be asked!

Are you trying to sidestep the issue of the latest macbook pro retina's downgrading of its hardware?

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But why in the world would I be comparing the displays of a non retina model to a retina model?

When you've answered as many member questions as I have…you would realize that anything is possible. You did not state that your old MBP model was a retina model. So that is where the confusion began.

Just because you know that you're comparing a 2012 retina MBP to a 2015 retina MacBook Pro…does not mean we can read your mind…and know exactly what you're thinking!

To have a meaningful conversation…it's always best to provide as much info as possible. If your 2012 MBP is actually a retina model…then that should have been mentioned to make things clear.

Yes that's a fantastic reason but what does it have to do with the screen display comparison between two retinas!?

You're still not getting it. From my perspective (or anyone reading this thread)…and reading from the beginning of the thread...you currently have a 2012 and a 2015 retina MacBook Pro.

Then you stated that you didn't care about speed. The main reason why folks purchase a newer computer is for more speed. So it was pretty confusing what you even have a 2015 retina MBP if you don't care about speed (AND you already have a 2012 retina MBP)??

Not until you mentioned (very late in the thread) that this 2015 computer was purchased for someone else did the situation make more sense.

And who said that you were expected to know that? What is wrong with you? That's why I decided to say that I don't know why it should even be asked!

See my reply above. It makes no sense for you to even have this 2015 retina MacBook Pro if you don't care about speed. Any logical person reading this thread would come to that conclusion. If your 2012 retina MBP is fine…no reason to have the 2015 model.

It wasn't until you mentioned later in the thread…that this computer was originally purchased for someone else…that THEN your situation makes more sense.

Are you trying to sidestep the issue of the latest macbook pro retina's downgrading of its hardware?

Nope…never entered my mind. And even if it did. I don't work for Apple…why would I try and "side-step" anything??

Now you're just looking for conspiracy theories.

- Nick

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And we are done. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.