Problems alphabetising Tunes in iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
In iTunes I have an "album" I've created of tracks by one particular artist appearing on various CDs. I wanted to bring them all together as one permanent album and not just as a playlist. What annoys me if that, while all tracks added from CDs and retitled to fit into this album rearrange themselves in alphabetical order, tracks I've downloaded in various formats from Amazon, iTunes, CDBaby etc are clumped together at the start of the album in no particularly order. Why can't I get them to fall into alphabetical order with the CD tracks? I'm running Mavericks with iTunes up-to-date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You need to take a hard look at the track details and "sorting" details. Anything that is in the "Sorting" details section overrides the fields from all other sections.

It did just occur to me also that the only likely reason they'd be sorting alphabetically is if you haven't assigned them a track number. If some tracks are all getting clumped together, perhaps they all have the same track number, and the rest have none?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good idea about the track numbers LB. That had not occurred to me.

You're also probably right about the sorting issues as well. The info in the sorting fields has to be exactly as you want it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
Thanks guys. That fixed it. I'd already removed all track numbers since they were meaningless and the CD tracks had no specific sorting information that I could see so they sorted themselves alphabetically. All it required was for me to remove the sorting information on the mp3 tracks and they are all nicely integrated alphabetically. Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.