iPad Safari - Pop Ups/Under Ads on MacForums?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Not an important issue but just curious - on my iPad Air 2 (iOS 8.3), when I'm on the MacForums (using Safari), I occasionally will get a pop up ad or will see the the screen page curled at the bottom right and lifting will reveal a 'pop under ad' - an example of the latter occurred this afternoon and is shown below - all of these have the name [a-mo-bee] at the top right.

Safari is set to block pop-ups in Settings on the iPad and I rarely have an issue w/ any other websites on that device - now, when I'm on the forum using Safari on my MBPro, I cannot remember getting any pop ups. Any clues or comments? Thanks - Dave :)

P.S. the content of these ads varies and the one attached is the first seen w/ Jennifer Lopez.

IMG_3194.PNG

Last edited:
OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

Be aware that AdBlock Plus has been the center of some controversy over its own business practices.

Also be aware that using an adblocker on sites like Mac-Forums will kill them. Either become a premium member (cheap!) or whitelist Mac-Forums if you want it to survive.

(the above should be a standard disclaimer added to certain members' frequent admonitions for users to acquire and use adblockers.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I use a VPN for certain practices, and with this one, it is also a AdBlocker. I can use the VPM/Smart DNS on my Router or any individual device.
It works great, even in say a Twitter client, on my iPad Air 2, I open the in-app browser and there is a Ad. I select VPN in iPad settings, and its gone . . .

Something else to consider, if its a BIG issue.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad you posted this Dave. I've been meaning to post about this for a few weeks now. It makes surfing the forums on the iPad annoying. In my case I need to spend some time checking Safari't preferences on the iPad. It does not seem to remember me when I tell it to do so. I can log in and ask it to remember me but each page presents itself as if I have never logged in. Complete with the suggestion to join the site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Glad you posted this Dave. I've been meaning to post about this for a few weeks now. It makes surfing the forums on the iPad annoying. In my case I need to spend some time checking Safari't preferences on the iPad. It does not seem to remember me when I tell it to do so. I can log in and ask it to remember me but each page presents itself as if I have never logged in. Complete with the suggestion to join the site.

And whats wrong with using the Mac Forums iPad App ?? I think it works really well, albeit, far from what the Browser version looks like.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Be aware that AdBlock Plus has been the center of some controversy over its own business practices.

Also be aware that using an adblocker on sites like Mac-Forums will kill them. Either become a premium member (cheap!) or whitelist Mac-Forums if you want it to survive.

(the above should be a standard disclaimer added to certain members' frequent admonitions for users to acquire and use adblockers.)

Hi Chas_m - thanks for your response - I'm already a premium member so not sure it that is the answer - it's really a minor annoyance but just curious why it is happening basically only on the MacForums website? Is it part of their advertising and have any others really observed this behavior of their iPads? Thanks - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
. . . .and have any others really observed this behavior of their iPads? Thanks - Dave :)

I have just spent the last hour in Safari probing around the Forum, and not once did this popup come up for me.

How often are you seeing it Dave ?? Do you have Chrome, Puffin, Atomic, Opera or Dolphin installed to see if it happens in any of them ?? Most of these have there own Popup Stopper too. Atomic, has a built-in AdBlocker of its own . . .

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just spent the last hour in Safari probing around the Forum, and not once did this popup come up for me.

How often are you seeing it Dave ?? Do you have Chrome, Puffin, Atomic, Opera or Dolphin installed to see if it happens in any of them ?? Most of these have there own Popup Stopper too. Atomic, has a built-in AdBlocker of its own . . .

Hi TM - well that particular pop-up only comes up when I'm on the MacForums website on Safari - not each time I'm on but maybe every 3-4 visits (kind of a guess). I do have about 3 other browsers (Puffin, Atomic, etc.) installed on the iPad but have not really done any comparisons - not really a big issue for me but just was curious if the forum sponsors might be involved since I have not seen this on other sites visited? Thanks for your interest - Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
And whats wrong with using the Mac Forums iPad App ?? I think it works really well, albeit, far from what the Browser version looks like.

I used it a bit when it first came out. Had to wipe my iPad recently and haven't reinstalled it yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.