Power strips w/ surge protectors

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I see two or three recent threads about blown iMacs due to some sort of power surge (lightning or via the power company, presumably). People in the Apple universe don't use these things, are they simply useless or "Macs don't need them" (you know...like anti-virus software)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I don't know about the Apple universe but in the Electrical universe all are treated equal. There is nothing that will absolutely stop an electrical surge (especially during a lightning strike) from damaging electronics and any thing else plugged in. But proactive preventative measures can be taken to protect from the everyday issues - loss of power, power coming back on creating potential surges, etc.

I use Uninterrupted Power Supplies (UPS) on all my electronics. I like them better than power strips with reset buttons which offer little protection. A UPS will provide battery backup. How long depends on what you select when you purchase one. They also "smooth" out power fluctuations - spikes, brown outs, etc.

I use to have to replace an appliance, router, wireless phone or tv every couple of years. Since I added them at home I have had zero issues.

Most of us use something to protect our electronics. A power strip with surge protection is a start and offers protection from the ups and downs in electrical current. They are supposed to "pop" if a spike occurs over a certain level. The cheap ones may not though. Here quality will cost a bit more.

I live with an electrical inspector. I have seen some really "cool" destruction that electricity can do. I would rather not be one of those who experience it.

Lisa

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
People in the Apple universe don't use these things, are they simply useless or "Macs don't need them" (you know...like anti-virus software)?

Mac's & virus's…and Mac's & surge protector's are completely different things.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I'd agree w/ Lisa concerning using an UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) - I have used them for decades (nearly all have been the APC brand) and have at least four in the house at the moment (covering my iMac, electronics in the den, and the latter in the bedroom). The devices handle occasional outrages or peak power surges/brownouts - if these are transient then the our computer and the electronics keep on working fine, but if prolonged (and we are home), then plenty of time to turn the equipment off.

Another advantage is that my highest capacity UPS is on the iMac, and w/ a prolonged outage, I can keep the cable modem and the Apple AirPort Extreme router running for hours, so wife I can use our iPads and I can play music on my iDevice through a small BT travel speaker on battery power - better than sitting in the dark! Dave :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Mac's & virus's…and Mac's & surge protector's are completely different things.

- Nick

Surge protectors are never mentioned here, or I've missed the conversation, which led me to believe that they don't need them, analogous to how Macs don't need AV software. In light of the aforementioned blown Macs, it piqued my curiosity as to why not use a surge protected power strip to avert such incidents.

I see I need to get with the program as most on here employ a UPS device.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Surge protectors are never mentioned here, or I've missed the conversation, which led me to believe that they don't need them, analogous to how Macs don't need AV software. In light of the aforementioned blown Macs, it piqued my curiosity as to why not use a surge protected power strip to avert such incidents.

I see I need to get with the program as most on here employ a UPS device.

Yes, forget the cheap 'surge protectors' (as I did decades ago) - in bolded above, buy a good UPS to protect your equipment - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Surge protectors do not offer much protection at all. Can't comment about most homes in the US but certainly Down Under for decades it has been a requirement all meter boards where power comes into a dwelling from the mains, be fitted with circuit breakers on each and every circuit, power and light.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can't comment about most homes in the US but certainly Down Under for decades it has been a requirement all meter boards where power comes into a dwelling from the mains, be fitted with circuit breakers on each and every circuit, power and light.

Same in the US Harry. Electrical codes are pretty much the same across the 50 states.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well Charlie in theory would not the circuit breaker go off prior to damage to the computer?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well Charlie in theory would not the circuit breaker go off prior to damage to the computer?

No. Circuit breakers are not fast enough. Ten years ago I lost 2 TV sets, a PC Modem, and my air conditioning motor to a nearby lightning strike. The lightning splatter came in through the wiring and antenna coax. The circuit breaker tripped only after the air conditioning motor crashed.

There's really nothing you can do to prevent damage when you're dealing with lightning. It's best to just unplug everything until the storms pass over. We get thunderstorms here in Texas that sound like WW III. Of course if a Tornado hits, you don't have to worry about unplugging anything. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

They aren't mentioned much because it should be common knowledge to keep your valuable electronics on a surge protector. This applies to your computer hardware and TV/home theater gear.

Surge protectors do not offer much protection at all. Can't comment about most homes in the US but certainly Down Under for decades it has been a requirement all meter boards where power comes into a dwelling from the mains, be fitted with circuit breakers on each and every circuit, power and light.

The biggest value in a surge protector is the warranty that many of them come with. TrippLite's Isobar series comes with a $50,000 lifetime warranty if any of your gear connected to one gets damaged by a surge or spike. TrippLite in particular makes some of the best surge protectors out there and I only use theirs on my most important hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with Lifeisabeach on the quality of TrippLite. I use them to protect electronics at work where a UPS just won't work. We have projectors and stage lights plugged into them. There is no way to place a heavy battery box or really any need for battery backup on them. The TrippLItes have significantly reduced our death rate with boards getting fired. But as for my servers, video editors, and office essential computers and electronics, they have UPS protection.

Prior to adding UPS's at home, I used a high quality surge protectors. I don't remember the brand name. We had an electrical storm that took out my son's computer and monitor plus our TV and DVD recorder. I had to get an electrician (could not use my husband ;P) to write up what had caused the damage. They did pay for the damage. I had to send them the surge protectors and they replaced them and issued a check for the damage. It did not completely cover it - I really did need a bigger tv ;D - but they honored their guarantee.

We have a lot of electrical storms in our area. I have not had a problem with losses from electrical surges or lightning strikes since I added UPS's at home. Nothing is absolute if you are hit by a direct strike but for the bulk issues they really work.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thought I should mention this. I don't know if all surge protection companies are the same. But I've read multiple times over the years that the companies that sell surge protectors…make it very very difficult to collect on the warranties.

I tried to find some articles on this this…but there doesn't seem to be anything recent when doing a Google search. But from what I remember…these warranties have so many "arms & legs" to them (conditions that much be met)…that if you fail on just one of them…BAMM…the warranty claim is refused.

So the warranty's on surge protection equipment look very attractive…but collecting on the warranty can be a very difficult process.

- Nick

p.s. The best I could find for a recent article on this was this article from CNET. Read the "Edit" under point #3.

9 things you should know about surge protectors - CNET

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The biggest value in a surge protector is the warranty that many of them come with. TrippLite's Isobar series comes with a $50,000 lifetime warranty if any of your gear connected to one gets damaged by a surge or spike.

I would be interested in actual anecdotes about users who filed a claim with TrippLite. Surge protector warranties vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I just don't see how TrippLite or any other surge protector manufacturer would warrant their equipment up against a direct or nearby lightning strike. I have always been skeptical regarding those warranties.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish I could remember who the company was I filed a claim with. I really don't. I will say they had to receive the fried surge protector to examine before they paid along with replacement estimates. But it has been years ago and I since went to UPS's. Much better device.

And it is correct when pointed out, one never knows how good a warrantee is until you need it.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was doing some additional research trying to find the articles that I remember reading about how collecting on a warranty claim from a surge protection device can be very difficult…if not impossible.

Found this article (link below) that describes the experience of one customer. It of course is just one person…but the article does mention a lot of the "hurdles" a surge protection device manufacturer makes a customer filing a warranty claim go thru.

This process can take months & months. And you know what this means. At some point…many customers will just give up. And of course…if someone's computer was "fried"…you can't wait months & months to receive a warranty check to replace a computer you need NOW.

http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-a...8022-belkin-when-is-a-warranty-not-a-warranty

- Nick

p.s. One of the hurdles is submitting your original purchase receipt. How many times do many of us still have the original purchase receipt 2, 3, or more years later??;) Some of us will have it…but I bet most won't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good article Nick - and absolutely correct. When we have big storms in the area, I unplug.

I am well aware how lightning will travel and jump. I have accompanied my husband a couple of times to homes that took a direct hit. There will be plugs blown out of the walls, lights shattered, scorches along walls where wires, totally fried home protection systems, you name it. Lightning will follow the dust in a house and ignite it along with anything else flammable or combustible.

Taking preventive measures and having good home owners insurance is always a good thing.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.