File Sharing with OS X Server on Mini to rMBP

Reaction score
Sorry if this is posted to the wrong section, I wasn't sure if it should go in OS X operating system or desktop.

Sorry if this is an easy question, I'm very new to file sharing on a home network.

Our set up is a late 2012 Mac Mini running 10.10.3 OS X with Server app installed. From here, there is an 8 TB drive connected that I wish to have access to on my laptop (Mid 2012 rMPB).

I was hoping that I could install OS X Server and be able to connect to the Mini, to which the external drive is connected, and access files through that, but when I attempt to "join server" through finder, and either as Guest, registered user, or through iTunes user name, the permission is denied. I have set the permissions on the Mini so that everyone has access, including guests, but I am having major issues actually connecting.

I can screen share with no issues, but not a direct connection.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
First - to clarify, a server is a computer that has files that you need to download, or view, or watch, or play, etc. All other devices/computers are clients. You only need Server software on the server - and even that you don't need because all it does is put all the settings in one place. (my point - you don't need the server software to enable a Mac to share/serve files.)

On the server, the relevant settings are in System Prefs > Sharing. Check-mark file sharing. Go to the Options button and make sure that both SMB and AFP are checked, then come back to the sharing prefs pane and make sure that the folders you want to share are added to "Shared Folders."

On a client Mac, use the Go (top of Finder) menu. Go > Connect to Server > Browse. Find the server, select it, enter password. select shared folder. It will mount on your desktop. You can now use the files within just like in any other folder on your Mac.

Does that help?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.