What speaker set-up do you use with your iMac?

Reaction score
Hello:

I'm looking to purchase a different set of speakers for my imac.

My PC had 5.1 set-up, which had several analog plugs.

Being that the iMac has a digital optical input jack, curious to know what speakers you use. Do you use a 2.1, or 5.1 set-up?

I was debating purchasing the ipod Hi-Fi, but I don't think it will sound as good as a 2.1 or 5.1 speaker set-up.

Thanks,

Vake J

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's. Love them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
I have new JBL Creature 2 set up speakers (white) and they work great. The mac's built in speakers were fine, but for me, I needed blarring music lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
I just use some harmon/kardon speaks I got with a dell desktop a while back. They do a fine job but I have been interested in buying some new ones with great sound since I always have iTunes running while I'm at my comp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Altec Lansing speakers are nice. I have a set for my powerbook and I love them.

Reaction score
logitech 2100's... not as much bass as the klipsch, but better overall sound... killer sound for a 2.1 setup...

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I use the JBL creature II set up. They are great.

OP
V
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. There are some good deals on ebay.

As much as I want to purchase the apple hi-fi, I just think the price is a bit steep. I mean it's just a box with 3 speakers for $350. It doesn't even have a separate bass module. There are "home theatre systems in a box" that sell for about the same price (not the high-end stuff, but I hope you see my point).

The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 from best buy will run you $150. I'm guessing the sound must be better than the hi-fi.

Curious to know if there are any hi-fi supportors....

VJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
i just hooked up some old monsoon speakers and a sub yesterday. they're certainly louder than the built-in speakers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Anyone tried the Logitech Z 2300's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
PunkRockTuba said:
Altec Lansing speakers are nice. I have a set for my powerbook and I love them.
yep, they sound good, and arnt as expensive..
I got a 2.1 Altec Lansing setup on my g4 tower and they sound great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I've just ordered the Logitech Z2300's which sounded quite nice in the store I tested them...

We've got the iPod HiFi at our shop and I must admit that I'm quite disappointed by it.
The much smaller Bose Soundock sounds much better overall. The Hifi seems to lack warmth, especially at normal sound levels.

It sounds better when you start to crank it up, and it goes louder than the soundock. But for normal listening I wasn't too impressed.

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Anyone tried the Logitech Z 2300's?

yes.. and i luv them.. hooked them up to a ps2.. turned them up "halfway" had neighboors complaining in the apartment building..

just know that the sub is pretty **** big

J

jacostilllives

Don't know what the model is called but we have the logitech 5.1 speakers hooked up to our TV/XBOX360/PS2 and those things kick serious butt. They are awesome for the price..which i believe was like 260 or something online. As for my PC i have in my room i have the Altec Lansing speakers..They arent bad at all i like them a lot and for 2.1 for the money they are some of the best that ive tried. I used to have some creative 2.1s but i enjoy these more. Hope my info helped..peace!

Jaco

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.