What speaker set-up do you use with your iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
thelox714 said:
yes.. and i luv them.. hooked them up to a ps2.. turned them up "halfway" had neighboors complaining in the apartment building..

just know that the sub is pretty **** big
Cool, they sound like just the ticket :)

Thanks for the response!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb
Why are computer speakers different from hi-fi speakers? I reckon your Mac should just be another sound source, like your turntable, CD player, cassette deck, tuner.... Why put little tiddly things on your desk? Plug a cable from your output to a spare amp line input. I have massive floorstander boxes bi-wired to my fat amp. It all sounds great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They aren't really different, but since my iPod & iBook have become my only music sources, it doesn't make much sense to buy a huge honking amp & component system when I can get by with a nice active 2.1. system.

Btw. I've received the Logitech Z2300's and even thought they are very detailed & have an incredible bass, I'm going to return them.

The mids are just not "there" for me: The sound isn't warm enough somehow - I have lovely treble and thumping bass and an empty feeling in between the two.

Any other recommendations? I'm probably going to try the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II next.

B

bigbadandugly

I have a pair of Z-2300's and like them a lot, but, like you, feel they are missing "something" in the middle. However, when I'm at my PC I'm frequently working or doing something else other than focusing on the minute details of my tunes, so I kept them. I got such a good deal on them (C$199 at Staples, on clearout sale at Best Buy for C$90, so they discounted them down to $79 for me). I was planning on getting the Klipsh 2.1's refered to earlier, but for the price of a pair on eBay I could get two Z-2300s - one for myself and one for my 8-yr old daughter (overkill for her, but made her feel special with her new Mac mini.

BigBadAndUgly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
She has a mac mini AND Z 2300's?

You want to be my dad?

Reaction score
I have the Klipsch ProMedia GMX 2.1's and LOVE THEM. If you love Bass, then these are great speakers. Even if you don't (me), they still have excellent highs and mids. And they look great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now don't hate me:
But I've actually ordered the Bose Companion 3 speakers...
I know, I know - it's Bose... but I spent an hour comparing them to the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks and the JBL encounters and my ears went with them!

Plus I can get them for around €200,- through work, so they are only slightly more expensive than the others...

I'm getting them tomorrow, I'll post back my impressions then!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 1.8GHz 1GB RAM, 60GB iPod Video, 30GB iPod video on loan to the better half :-)
twitchymike@mac said:
Why are computer speakers different from hi-fi speakers? I reckon your Mac should just be another sound source, like your turntable, CD player, cassette deck, tuner.... Why put little tiddly things on your desk? Plug a cable from your output to a spare amp line input. I have massive floorstander boxes bi-wired to my fat amp. It all sounds great.

Or buy and airport express and stream your MP3s into your standard stereo. Works like a dream. I've burned all my CDs to MP3 and put most of them in the garage - saves a ton of space

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
I run sound through a 5.1 stereo in my room and when need be through the entire house with airtunes and some creative wiring!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I've currently got some Logitech X-230 speakers plugged into my iMac because they were cheap (£35) and sound great for the price.

I was originally considering the JBL Creatures, but when you crank up the volume, they distort, which is unfortunate because they look so cool with the blue LEDs (although now they only make them with green leds :( )

I am most likely going to buy some Harman Kardon Soundsticks next year when I get my MacBook Pro for uni.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
dtravis7 said:
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's. Love them.

Likewise. Just picked them up for my iMac, after having had a friend recommend them. They are amazing!

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Get the Logitech Z5500 system. Really kills. What sound. OMG. Never turned it up fullway (even though it does crack at that..). And THAT is a really HUUUUGE sub..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Boston Acoustic's (not sure of the model)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.