Time to leave iTunes & iPod for Spotify?

Reaction score
So mini back-story. Past decade always had a windows desktop with a classic iPod and used iTunes with a combination of old CD rips and downloads.

Within the past month i'd decided to get rid of my desktop and purchase a Macbook Pro.

My original idea was to purchase the 256GB model, but within the past week my trusty iPod classic finally gave out.

So now im in the position where i can either spent an extra £200 from the base £999 MBP aswell as £190 for a referb 64GB iPod Touch and carry on as normal, or I save just shy of £400 and get the base 128GB MBP and sign up to Spotify Premium?

I've used Spotify on and off on the free subscription and I like it, and im able to stream to my phone when im out and about. Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and if the recommend moving on from iTunes/iPod or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Your queries are rather broad and will elicit plenty of varied responses, and of course the final decision(s) are really up to you - but I went through the same thought process late last year, i.e. had an old iPad 2 that I wanted to replace, an old iPod Touch (2G) w/ my MP3 music used 'on the road' mainly, and a MBPro (bought in early 2013 - 256 GB SSD) which held my MP3 music. I own 6000+ CDs, use Pandora & Spotify (on my son's account) both at home and on the road w/ BT (i.e., bluetooth headphones & portable speakers).

So, in early December last year, I decided to buy a new iPad Air 2 w/ 128 GB of storage and transferred my MP3 music to that device which I use for different purposes including email, web browsing, reading (books & magazines), and now music - my iPod Touch is no longer w/ me 'on the road' - I carry the new iPad, BT headphones & a small portable speaker) - the iPad fulfills those needs.

At home, I use the MBPro & wife has an iMac - all of my ripped & purchased music is on my laptop - nearly half of the storage is consumed, so if you have a LOT of music, then a larger SSD would be my recommendation. In my house, I listen to music several ways now: 1) CDs and 2) Pandora & Spotify either using my iPad Air 2 or my Roku device via a BT soundbar on my HDTV - doubt that this helps much but just some thoughts, and I'm sure that you will get other different responses - please post back as your thoughts changed. Dave

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@lordcradden If it were me I would be looking to avoid getting something with a 128 GB SSD. Even if you are not a digital pack rat as I am that drive is probably going to get cramped for space quickly. Remember that OS X seems to like 15-20% of the drive space free for various swap files. If the drive starts to fill beyond that point the system seems to really slow down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.