Hard Drive Problem? Help!

L

lintmagnet

Greetings all. I was hoping that consulting other Macophiles might provide me with some insight as to what is going on with my precious Powerbook G4.

I purchased my 12" Powerbook G4 (60 GB, 1.3 GHz, 512 MB RAM running OS X 10.3.9) in July 2004. I've had a relatively problem-free career with the computer--until last Sunday. I left in the morning to do a few things and when I came back, my computer had frozen on the screen saver and had this bizarre command-line-looking white text on black background over the frozen screen saver. Immediately I forced a restart, but the screen just stuck on the blue welcome screen with the apple and the spinning thingy, spinning indefinitely. I used my roommate's computer to try to seek guidance from Mac's online help and eventually resorted to shelling $50 to Apple to get the computer running again. If you're curious, I had to force it into Single-User Mode (I don't have the Mac OS X Disc with me here) and run some stuff through there. By the end of the phone call, my computer was back to normal.

...Or so I thought. Since then, I've been having an increasingly annoying problem. My computer will be acting fine, but then the screen saver comes on, as it is supposed to after several minutes of inactivity. At that point, once I put my finger on the mouse or press a button, the hard drive starts making incessant clicking noises and the cursor turns into the beach ball of doom. I can move the beach ball around, but everything comes to a stand still. The only thing that has been able to alieviate this problem is tilting the computer sideways (I read that this somehow stops the harddrive from doing things like clicking because of the sensor built in). In this position, the computer functions normally, but the second I lay it flat on the desk again, it proceeds to do the hard drive click/beach ball of doom thing.

I have been perusing other internet sources and a friend of mine had to recently have her 15" Powerbook replaced (which she purchased around the same time) because of numerous hard drive failures. Does anyone here have any thoughts or similar experiences to expound upon? I'd really appreciate it, as this computer contains prettymuch everything important in my life, at least for school. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
that first thing was a kernel panic (command line text overlay), but now it sounds like hard drive failure, or something seriously fubar. I would backup all your data asap before the HD totally goes out. After you've backed up you can try reinstalling the OS. If you may need a new HD if it keeps clicking after that. Any one else?

OP
L

lintmagnet

deus_ex_machina said:
that first thing was a kernel panic (command line text overlay), but now it sounds like hard drive failure, or something seriously fubar. I would backup all your data asap before the HD totally goes out. After you've backed up you can try reinstalling the OS. If you may need a new HD if it keeps clicking after that. Any one else?

Yeah, I figure it is the hard drive failing (as I type this, I'm tilting the computer so the hard drive won't lock up) and have already backed up things. I'm just trying to get input and see if this has happened to anyone else. Apple says replacing the HD will cost me, like, $300. The computer isn't even 2 years old, though. Aren't Apples supposed to be reknowned for reliability? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
lintmagnet said:
Yeah, I figure it is the hard drive failing (as I type this, I'm tilting the computer so the hard drive won't lock up) and have already backed up things. I'm just trying to get input and see if this has happened to anyone else. Apple says replacing the HD will cost me, like, $300. The computer isn't even 2 years old, though. Aren't Apples supposed to be reknowned for reliability? :(

Yes but you can't win them all ;) The HDs aren't made by Apple (MCE I think). You can replace it yourself and save some money. Do you have any AppleCare with it?

OP
L

lintmagnet

deus_ex_machina said:
Yes but you can't win them all ;) The HDs aren't made by Apple. You can replace it yourself and save some money. Do you have any AppleCare with it?

Sadly, my AppleCare has long since expired. However, it was paid for with an American Express Card which, mercifully, offers its own warranties on purchases, so I think they will take care of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.