Thinking of switching from Android to iOS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" rMBP 2014, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 2.6GHz i5
I have been using Android only for roughly 7 years or so, and as such I have very little experience of using an iOS. I have although, seen how mature the OS is, and how stable it is.

One of the reasons for me staying with Android for so long, was that I used to flash ROMs and root my devices. Since I got the Nexus 4 (and subsequently the Nexus 6), I've had no reason to flash or root, as the device is as I like it. It's not that I dislike Android now, far from it, I think it's a great OS, but I think iOS is more polished and communicates with my MBP easier.

Another reason for staying with Android was all of the Google apps, that were exclusive to Android. Obviously this is not the case anymore. I also used to like the idea of homescreens and widgets, although I've had the same 3 homescreens for years, and the only widgets I use are Google Keep, and the Weather. Widgets are not as important as they used to be.

I'd like to hear from people who have experience on both OS's, and can give me an unbiased view. I'd like to find out what limitation iOS has over Android, and how iOS excels in comparison to Android.

The main thing that I don't like about iOS (correct me if I'm incorrect) is that apps have less ability to interact with other apps. By this I mean sending information like photos, to other apps for use with them. Is that still the case with the latest iOS?

I've just purchased my second Macbook Pro, and I love them. I know I will love an iPhone, but I'm not sure if I will get frustrated with some features that are lacking when compared to Android (if there are any?).

I'd appreciate it if you could comment on features that iOS lacks in comparison to Android and the features that iOS has, that Android is lacking.

I know there is WWDC coming up very soon, and the new iOS will probably be released, so the features will change. Coupled with that, Android M has just been unveiled, and again these features are different to Lollipop. I am only looking for differences between Android 5.1.1 and the latest iOS (8.3?)

I could walk into a shop to play with an iPhone, but I'd rather hear people's views before going into a store.

C

chas_m

I'd like to hear from people who have experience on both OS's, and can give me an unbiased view. I'd like to find out what limitation iOS has over Android, and how iOS excels in comparison to Android.

There are lots of areas of difference, but the big one for me:

Android advantage over iOS: highly customizable, often higher resolution cameras, sometimes cheaper

iOS advantage over Android: far better security, no malware, dramatically faster updates, no bloatware, carrier has no control over OS or apps, experience is the same on all iOS devices, more and better apps, fingerprint scanner that actually works reliably, Apple Pay, better camera (by this I do not mean just the camera hardware).

The main thing that I don't like about iOS (correct me if I'm incorrect) is that apps have less ability to interact with other apps. By this I mean sending information like photos, to other apps for use with them. Is that still the case with the latest iOS?

No.

I know there is WWDC coming up very soon, and the new iOS will probably be released

We'll probably get a look at the next iOS (presumably called iOS 9), but it is unlikely to be released before the fall actually.

Coupled with that, Android M has just been unveiled, and again these features are different to Lollipop. I am only looking for differences between Android 5.1.1 and the latest iOS (8.3?)

In years past I have seen Google add features to Android that iOS didn't have or did very differently. This year, unless I missed something, all the I/O announcements for Android M were just features that already exist in iOS, or are executed much more creepily by Google (like wanting to scan all your photos and constantly monitor your conversations and app usage).

OP
imfromwales
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are lots of areas of difference, but the big one for me:

Android advantage over iOS: highly customizable, often higher resolution cameras, sometimes cheaper

iOS advantage over Android: far better security, no malware, dramatically faster updates, no bloatware, carrier has no control over OS or apps, experience is the same on all iOS devices, more and better apps, fingerprint scanner that actually works reliably, Apple Pay, better camera (by this I do not mean just the camera hardware).

I'm finding I don't change my setup that much, I have quite a minimalistic approach to homescreens. Although, saying that, I like having the option of doing pretty much whatever I want (within reason).

I've been looking into the privacy concerns with Google, and the company would collapse if they didn't do as much data mining as they do; but I'd like to find out what happens to the data, apart from targeted adds? What is Apple doing that we don't know of? I know their main purpose is to sell products, rather than sell data, but it would be interesting to look into...

In years past I have seen Google add features to Android that iOS didn't have or did very differently. This year, unless I missed something, all the I/O announcements for Android M were just features that already exist in iOS, or are executed much more creepily by Google (like wanting to scan all your photos and constantly monitor your conversations and app usage).

I've not actually looked into I/O this year very much, only briefly. The thing is, Android does a fair few things that I really like, and not sure if I could get used to not having them. The obvious is the back button down at the bottom of the screen, and iOS having a physical home button is a turnoff for me. Hopefully with the next iPhone they make the home button capacative, and move the back button to the bottom. Having the back button at the top was more understandable when phones were small, but it's a lot harder with the 6 and 6 Plus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I had android for years. My iPhone 6+ is the first apple phone I have owned. I did pretty much what you did with your androids (right up to bricking my phone with a bad custom ROM - my son fixed it). My last android was a Note II, which I loved and is why I waited to make the jump to apple. I loved the larger screen.

My review hits the day to day differences that I found that required me changing how I used my phone.

I have always put my phones in a wallet like case that has a flap to cover the screen - prevents pocket dialing. The android phones always had a flashing light at the top of the phone to let me know I had a message or missed a call. Yes, the iPhone has an icon on the screen and you can get audible alerts but they stop after what ever time limit you set up to 20 minutes(I think?) and if my phone is not with me, I won't catch it till much later. The blinking light on my Note would catch my attention and it never timed out. The loss of this feature was huge for me.

The inability to customize the screen was a bit of an annoyance. I like the large clock, date, and weather widgets plus the way I could have my upcoming calendar events on display in a list. I have learned to live without them. Just requires my checking those apps individually.

The biggest plus for me hands down with the iPhone is the call quality. I live in a rural area. We seem to be the last place to get cellphone tower service. In my home I have had to have a booster that routed my calls over the internet. When I got the iPhone, I sent the booster back. This phone will make and hold a call if it has at least one dot of service is showing. I never had that level of service from any of the android phones I owned - about 8 or so android phones.

Hands down this has been the best phone I have ever had for doing what I need it to do - make and hold a call, get messages and send them, retrieve and send email.

I should mention the way it works with my MB Air, iPad and Mac Pro. I love the fact I can see a message or calendar appointment on my other devices. I have shut off FaceTime though. I didn't find it quite so charming when a call came in on my iPad and I was in the bathroom. I am just not ready for that.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Lisa,

Just in case you didn't know there is a way to quickly display calendar events under IOS.

When you touch the home button to wake the phone don't unlock it yet. At the very top of the screen, just above the time, is a white rounded rectangle somewhat resembling a "pill". Slide this pill downward and events for the day, reminders and weather are all listed there without opening the respective apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Lisa,

Just in case you didn't know there is a way to quickly display calendar events under IOS.

When you touch the home button to wake the phone don't unlock it yet. At the very top of the screen, just above the time, is a white rounded rectangle somewhat resembling a "pill". Slide this pill downward and events for the day, reminders and weather are all listed there without opening the respective apps.

Thanks Slydude, and I am aware. I just miss the in-your-face of it on my home screen. I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to select, click, swipe to get to the information.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured you were aware of that. I don't mind that so much but I think you're right about the missed call/messages notifications. I'd also like it if the vibrate motor was a bit stronger. I have my phone on vibrate for a good portion of the day and sometimes don't notice right away when I get a call.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured you were aware of that. I don't mind that so much but I think you're right about the missed call/messages notifications. I'd also like it if the vibrate motor was a bit stronger. I have my phone on vibrate for a good portion of the day and sometimes don't notice right away when I get a call.

I have to use vibrate a lot too. Nothing says notice me like a ring tone in the middle of a meeting or church service. ;D I wish it would vibrate more too.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have set my phone to flash as well as vibrate. Not much help if the phone is buried in a pocket or purse but helpful in other situations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I totally forgot one big plus for iPhones. Waiting for the newest upgrades. With an iPhone everyone get them regardless of carrier. With Android it depends on carrier and phone manufacturer. And if your carrier or manufacturer is slower than a turtle at "customizing" the update to suit their level of needed bloatware, you get it last while your friends rub it in!!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have set my phone to flash as well as vibrate. Not much help if the phone is buried in a pocket or purse but helpful in other situations.

Tried that. OMG! Scared the poop out of me the first time it went off. Are we notifying outer space? Seriously, for a deaf person it would be great. For me, I think things like search lights nuclear holocaust.... not good. ;D

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried that. OMG! Scared the poop out of me the first time it went off. Are we notifying outer space? Seriously, for a deaf person it would be great. For me, I think things like search lights nuclear holocaust.... not good. ;D

Lisa

Lol. Same thing happened to me. I set it by accident once because I misread what it was intended to do. I knew about the light because a student had shown it to me when I moved to the iPhone 4.

In all seriousness I have used that light as a mini flashlight during a power outage.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'll take a crack at this as someone who uses and likes (and dislikes) both.
I have been using Android only for roughly 7 years or so, and as such I have very little experience of using an iOS. I have although, seen how mature the OS is, and how stable it is.
In my experience, neither is more or less stable. Both crash very infrequently and both are generally quick in day to day use. I'm not sure you'll notice much here.

It's not that I dislike Android now, far from it, I think it's a great OS, but I think iOS is more polished and communicates with my MBP easier.
Depending on how you plan to use your phone, this is absolutely true or not at all. This is very true if you plan to make use of Apple's apps and services along with the iOS/OS X specific functionality like the rather spotty Handoff. If you do, then this is very much true. However, if you veer off of Apple's path (so to speak), this isn't quite the case. For example, if all you need is PIM syncing (contacts, calendar, etc.), then the connectedness is basically the same as it would be with an Android phone.

Another reason for staying with Android was all of the Google apps, that were exclusive to Android. Obviously this is not the case anymore. I also used to like the idea of homescreens and widgets, although I've had the same 3 homescreens for years, and the only widgets I use are Google Keep, and the Weather. Widgets are not as important as they used to be.
The notification tray may be enough for you when you add widgets to it.

I'd like to hear from people who have experience on both OS's, and can give me an unbiased view.
You've come to the wrong place for unbiased. ;)

If you're coming from Android, then yes, iOS is going to feel limited compared to Android's powerful intents system. However, for 90% of what consumers will want, iOS will get the job done (you might have to rethink your workflow a bit though).

I've just purchased my second Macbook Pro, and I love them. I know I will love an iPhone, but I'm not sure if I will get frustrated with some features that are lacking when compared to Android (if there are any?).
As someone who came to iOS after years of Android, I can guarantee you that there will be growing pains especially when a lot of the normal functionality on Android just doesn't exist on iOS (I still pine for basic filesystem access...). That said, you can get used to it.

OP
imfromwales
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I totally forgot one big plus for iPhones. Waiting for the newest upgrades. With an iPhone everyone get them regardless of carrier. With Android it depends on carrier and phone manufacturer. And if your carrier or manufacturer is slower than a turtle at "customizing" the update to suit their level of needed bloatware, you get it last while your friends rub it in!!

That makes a difference to the majority of users who do not own a nexus device, although that isn't a problem for me. I also think the majority of android users won't actually know there is a new release out and terefore won't mind they're not running the latest. This fragmentation is bad for Android as a whole though.

I should mention the way it works with my MB Air, iPad and Mac Pro. I love the fact I can see a message or calendar appointment on my other devices. I have shut off FaceTime though. I didn't find it quite so charming when a call came in on my iPad and I was in the bathroom. I am just not ready for that.

I thought that would be an advantage, although I can sync my calendar and mail with my Google account, and use Chrome with Pushbullet to receive and respond to notifications from my phone on my computer. I know it's not as fully integrated with the Messages app on OSx, but it does the job. I'm thinking of switching email providers, as I have growing concerns over privacy with Google, but then I think to myself that Apple may be mining my data, but without my knowledge. At least with Google it's obvious?

You've come to the wrong place for unbiased. ;)

I was hoping (as is true), that there would be Android users like myself, who use a Mac as a laptop and an Android as a Phone. Alternatively, people who have experience on both, which again is also true :)

As someone who came to iOS after years of Android, I can guarantee you that there will be growing pains especially when a lot of the normal functionality on Android just doesn't exist on iOS (I still pine for basic filesystem access...). That said, you can get used to it.

I don't use the filesystem much, but when I do I'm pleased it's there. Are there no system browsers for iOS?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Watch your quotes. You mixed the last two quotes from Vansmith with that of lclev and reversed them! Maybe you do need to switch to iOS. :p O:)

OP
imfromwales
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just keeping you on your toes ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
In all seriousness I have used that light as a mini flashlight during a power outage.
I had to uninstall a flashlight app from my Android phone because there were reports of the app accessing parts that are totally unnecessary. Did find an app later that asks for nothing extra. For my iPhone, it is built into iOS. Power outage might not be the best time to use the flashlight, if you don't know when you can charge it.

I have to use my Android since that is company provided (not allowed to forward) and call back number is my iPhone, so I had to stop forwarding.

I have iPhone 5S, iPad and MBA and "continuity" is one awesome features of using iOS and OS X. At the beginning it felt odd to have my iPad and Mac "ring" when I get a call. Now I am used to it. You can answer on any device, but it is using the iPhone to complete the call. So, OP's question, it would work better with his MBP.

I find that the main issue of switching is re-buying apps.

OP
imfromwales
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had to uninstall a flashlight app from my Android phone because there were reports of the app accessing parts that are totally unnecessary. Did find an app later that asks for nothing extra. For my iPhone, it is built into iOS. Power outage might not be the best time to use the flashlight, if you don't know when you can charge it.

A flashlight comes standard with Lollipop forwards. Here we get to the fragmentation as only ~10% of devices are running it. When you say the app was accessing parts of the device it didn't need to, I say why did you agree to the permissions, and I'm ure that's only one app - there are a plethora of flashlight apps for Android.

I have iPhone 5S, iPad and MBA and "continuity" is one awesome features of using iOS and OS X. At the beginning it felt odd to have my iPad and Mac "ring" when I get a call. Now I am used to it. You can answer on any device, but it is using the iPhone to complete the call. So, OP's question, it would work better with his MBP.

How do you mean you have to answer on your iPhone? your MBP displays a notification and then you have to get your phone out to speak?

I find that the main issue of switching is re-buying apps.

Luckily I've not bought many apps, and the ones that I have bought, I never use anymore. Apps change so frequently, and new ones are produced, that I find purchasing apps only makes me regret it when a better app comes along (especially if it's free).

One of the main reasons I can't see myself switching just yet, as much as I'd like to, the the location of the back button. It makes no sense to have the back button at the top of the screen, and the home button at the bottom, especially on a large device. I'm hoping the new iOS addresses this problem

Last edited:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You're right there. I used it for the few minutes it tool to get to one of the regular flashlights we have around the house. Wouldn't want to run it as a flashlight for an extended period of time unless I knew I had a means to charge it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.