How much is this iMac G5 Powermac worth?

Reaction score
Is this 05 mac worth £85/129$??
iMac G5 PowerMac, 17 Inch, Power PC G5 (2005).
SPECIFICATION
PROCESSOR:
PowerPC G5 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
MEMORY:
2.5 GB PC3200 (400MHz) DDR SDRAM,
GRAPHICS:
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 64MB DDR SDRAM with AGP 8X support
HARD DRIVE:
160GB Serial ATA; 7200 rpm1
OPTICAL DRIVE:
Slot-loading Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) Slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
DISPLAY:
17-inch (viewable) widescreen TFT active-matrix LCD,1440x900 pixels, millions of colors
PORTS:
Two FireWire 400 ports; three USB 2.0 ports, two USB 1.1 ports (on keyboard); VGA output2; S-video and composite video output2
NETWORKING:
Built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet and 56K V.92 modem3
WIRELESS:
AirPort Extreme ready (based on 802.11g specification; IEEE 802.11b Wi-Fi certified)4; internal Bluetooth module available as build-to-order option
AUDIO:
Headphone/optical digital audio output; audio line in
OPERATING SYSTEM:
Mac OS X version: Leopard 10.5.8 (Final for this model)”
HARDWARE:
Built-in stereo speakers

WIRELESS
AirPort Extreme Card M8881LL/A
Internal Bluetooth module with antenna

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is this 05 mac worth £85/129$??
iMac G5 PowerMac, 17 Inch, Power PC G5 (2005).

I would probably like to get it for a little bit less. But if you're in the UK…the price is probably in the ballpark.

Of course I hope you know that this computer is over 10 years old. And is very outdated in a number of ways. Just so you know.:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I would probably like to get it for a little bit less. But if you're in the UK…the price is probably in the ballpark.

Of course I hope you know that this computer is over 10 years old. And is very outdated in a number of ways. Just so you know.:)

- Nick

Thanks for the reply! I don't want to be spending a lot on a mac as I just want it as a desktop for doing uni work back home.. What would you say is the oldest year iMac i could get that is not too outdated?
thanks again

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I just want it as a desktop for doing uni work back home.. What would you say is the oldest year iMac i could get that is not too outdated?

This is kind of difficult to say. I don't know what sort of university work you need to do. And I don't know your computer budget.

But to try to answer your question…I wouldn't get anything without an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.

The computer you asked about in the beginning:

- does not have an Intel CPU.
- Is from 2005 (10 years old).
- The max. OS for it is 10.5.8. Most current Mac OS is 10.10 (5 versions newer).
- You would probably have lots of trouble getting software for it…and have pretty slow performance.

In other words…even though it's only £85/129$…it could still be a small amount of money down the drain.

To be honest…I wouldn't recommend getting anything older than a 2009 model Mac. The newer the better for a "positive" Mac computing experience.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

A Mac from 2005 is worth perhaps $10, and only that much if you happen to have some ancient software you want to run for giggles.

For university work you would have to be mad to want any 10-year old computer. I'd suggest nothing older than 2010 for short-term use or 2012 minimum if you intend to hold on to it longer than a year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.