I'm Stuck in a Pickle

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just graduated HS and my parents want to buy me a macbook for college, so I've been researching and thought I found that the Macbook Air 13" was the best bang for the buck. Until, I found out about the Apple refurb program. On there for like $949 I can get a 13" MBP with i5 and 8gb ram. So I am really leaning towards the MBP now, anything anyone would like to point out?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just graduated HS and my parents want to buy me a macbook for college...

Such a pickle! This is sort of like saying I just found $1000 and I don't know how to spend it!:)lol

It probably would be best to link us to the exact two computers you're thinking about…so we can see the exact specs of each. But if the difficult choice is really between 4gig and 8gig of ram. I would go with the 8gig.:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
New issue, I'm looking at Refurb MBP, is it more worth it to go with the 16gb ram 128gb ssd for $1149 or should I do the 8gb RAM and 256gb ssd for the same price?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It can be a difficult choice. If you never think you will need more than 8gig of ram…then the 8gig of ram and 256 storage is better. Realistically…most folks don't need more than 8gig of ram. So this might be the best choice.

On the other hand more storage space is easier to deal with (if needed)…since external storage options can always be used. But if more ram is needed…nothing can be done but purchase another computer.

Basically. Needing more storage space is easier to deal with than needing more ram. If you ever think you will need more than 8gig of ram. Then get the 16gig ram model.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.