Application Icons Invisible on Dock

Reaction score
Recently, a number of Application Icons are missing in the Dock. Safari, Mail, Preview and Pages just to name a few. They show a space for the Icon in the Dock and when you hover over the space a title for the application appears. They are also invisible in the Application folder through the Dock. However, if you open the folder through Preview, they are visible. All programs open and operate normally.

The only measure taken was to use Time Machine to no avail.

Any help would be welcome. I'm sure you will be rewarded with good Karma if you sincerely try to help ;-)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Recently, a number of Application Icons are missing in the Dock. Safari, Mail, Preview and Pages just to name a few. They show a space for the Icon in the Dock and when you hover over the space a title for the application appears. They are also invisible in the Application folder through the Dock. However, if you open the folder through Preview, they are visible. All programs open and operate normally.

Those application icons in the dock are just "aliases" (they show a path to where each app is located). If the apps are moved, apps reinstalled in some way, or if certain files got corrupted. or if certain files were deleted...then this info can be lost...and the icons in the dock become what you're seeing.

The solution should be to drag these generic icons out of the dock...and then drag the icons of the apps (from the folder they are currently located) back to the dock. This should fix everything.:)

- Nick

OP
SkyJester
Reaction score
Wow... quick answer and I really appreciate the help. I'll give it a try and will be pretty happy I don't have to guess which application it is, LOL

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wow... quick answer and I really appreciate the help.

Yes...we're pretty good! We didn't need the "good karma bribe"!!!;) lol

Hopefully what I mentioned will solve things!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.