best antivirus for mac

Reaction score
i am not sure which one is better avast or eset or kasperry or using any one on the apple store>

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The question is asked quite a bit by newer members…and the answer I just about always give is…the best anti-virus for a Mac is no anti-virus.

But if you REALLY feel you need something…"ClamXav" is probably the most recommended AV app amongst Mac-Forums members that use AV:

https://www.clamxav.com/index.html

If you want more info…please visit the "Security Awareness" area of Mac-Forums. There are some great threads there.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No viruses but there are some malware threats.

Download AdWareMedic, Ghostery and AdBlockPlus to keep your computer in A1 condition. Ignore all the windoze experts who will tell you there are Mac OS X viruses. Askthem to show you! In particular avoid Windows type AV as you have mentioned in your thread. Resource hogs that will slow your Mac. Even Apple sell this stuff, why? The old latin proverb I am afraid. A buck is a buck is a buck!

Download nothing from CNET o0r softonic which both include adware with their software downloads. Avast also does this.

Do not run any of the Mackeeper, CleanMyMac, TuneMyMac apps. Onyx which is free is recommended. Just download the correct version for you operating sytem which you have not shared, so cannot get you a link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Some of the recommended downloads will not run on some older OS versions. The OP did not specify which OS version is in play.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.