How do I change metro PCS from Android phone to iPhone 4S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
I REALLY hate my Android phone. Is is slow, cumbersome, will not let me upgrade ANYTHING because there is nowhere to PUT anything and NO programs can be moved to the SD card.

Anyway, I was hoping all I had to do was take the SIM card out of the LG phone and put it in the iPhone, but no such luck. 2 hours of internet research has me more confused than ever.

Is it even possible to just move my Metro PCS account to my old Verizon phone?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You really need to ask customer service at Metro PCS if you can use your Verizon iPhone 4S. Your Verizon iPhone 4S is CDMA only and does not use a SIM card (as far as I know) and might not be compatible. I don't know what services Metro PCS offers and who they contract with. Your Android phone is GSM. You might be better off looking for a used but new condition GSM iPhone 5, 5C, or 5S which would work.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
The Verizon phone DOES use a SIM card. According to everything I read, the verizon phone SHOULD be compatible. When I switched to Metro, they asked if I wanted to use my iPhone, or get a new LG phone for the same price. Like an idiot, I went with the new phone because the iPhone was already 3 years old. Little did I realize what train wreck this Android/Google crap really is. The LG phone has a 1.2 gig internal drive, 1.18 gig is taken up by the 2 dozen google apps I would never use anyway, giving me enough room left over 4 a couple dozen text messages, 2 or 3 pictures, and a handful of phone messages, THEN, the "running out of available space" alerts begin their furious notifications.

I can't even conceive the fact that anyone would even OWN an Android phone. When I see folks here complaining about an upgrade glitch, all I can say is, you have NO IDEA how much worse it could be.

Reaction score
because you bought a LG And LG are crap and they sell you the LG Because Metro PCS Is t-mobile and any t-mobile phones that don't sell go to Metro PCS

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In that case, if your iPhone 4S is compatible it should just be a matter of Metro PCS assigning your phone number to the 4S and removing it from the Android phone. I've done that with two dumb phones switching to two iPhone 5Cs and keeping my same numbers. The only thing I had to scramble to find out how - was to move my contacts to the new phones. The carrier I use is T-Mobile.
By the way, MetroPCS is owned by T-Mobile. T-Mobile does not use CDMA so you need to make sure that the 4S will do GSM and that it's not locked.

And I didn't know the 4S used a sim card. I had an iPhone 4 for awhile and it didn't have a sim card. It was strictly CDMA only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air
I was told by metro it had to be an unlocked AT&T or Tmobile. I brought in my AT&T unlocked iphone 5 and they inserted their sim card and everything worked great. Whole process took 5 minutes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That makes sense since Metro PCS is GSM only and AT&T, T-Mobile are both GSM. It's only Verizon and Sprint who use CDMA.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't make the change, without jail breaking it, whatever the heck that entails. Not worth my effort. I'll wait until the iPhone 5 comes down in price a little more. I figured, heck, how bad can Android phones be, millions of people use them, the price was certainly right. OMG, what crap software, apps, uuhhhgggg. I WILL be posting a picture go my LG phone with a bullet hole (or several) in it. That's all it's good for anyway, target practice.

ken

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Little did I realize what train wreck this Android/Google crap really is. The LG phone has a 1.2 gig internal drive, 1.18 gig is taken up by the 2 dozen google apps I would never use anyway, giving me enough room left over 4 a couple dozen text messages, 2 or 3 pictures, and a handful of phone messages, THEN, the "running out of available space" alerts begin their furious notifications.

I figured, heck, how bad can Android phones be, millions of people use them, the price was certainly right. OMG, what crap software, apps, uuhhhgggg.
To be fair, it sounds like you're running Android on terrible hardware which is less a software issue and more an issue of hardware provided by LG. As someone who has run Android on terrible hardware and great hardware, I can assure you that it's like every other platform, including iOS, in that it runs well on good hardware and poorly on bad hardware.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't make the change, without jail breaking it, whatever the heck that entails. Not worth my effort. I'll wait until the iPhone 5 comes down in price a little more.

Check with Amazon.com. They have unlocked iPhones (5 and 5c) for very good prices. The phones are not used, they're new. The only drawback is that they won't be warranted by Apple but you can buy a SquareTrade warranty instead.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could also check Apple's refurbished website - they've got iPhones there that might fit your needs.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about an iPhone 3, are they still available new?

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.