Router doesn't connect w/ Modem

Reaction score
Router won't connect to the internet - "Preferences" says Router has it's own internal ..address. What do I need to do in Airport Utility?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Double posting of threads is not necessary. The duplicate thread was removed.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes, I didn't think the first post "took". It appeared it had not gone under "New Thread". Thanks for taking it down. I couldn't figure out how-to do that task.

Dennis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
So, this is an Airport Extreme/Express/Time Capsule? - need more detail.
Have you connected a Mac to the modem to see if that's working correctly?

OP
A
Reaction score
Airport ?Extreme

Hello,

I have a Mac Mini, intell and an Airport ?Extreme? (I don''t have access to the Router right now. "5th Generation?". Running 10.6.8.

I started it up one morning and Preferences told me the Modem had it's own "Internal IP" and could not connect to the internet. I don't know what happened in all the "stuff" it takes to configure this awesome machine. I'm trying everything I know to do.

It used to automatically connect to the internet without having to enter all the info it is now telling me to get from my "Provider" - who (Suddenlink) tells me they "don't have that info, to connect automatically" (which it has up to now).

I guess i need to know how-to click the correct choices on the Airport Utility sequence - and in the pop-ups on the "Network Preferences".

I don't know why/how I suddenly got "mis-configured" - when it was working the night before. (obviously this is my first few months using a Router - it's awesome, but...)

Thank you for your help and interest!

Dennis

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It used to automatically connect to the internet without having to enter all the info it is now telling me to get from my "Provider" - who (Suddenlink) tells me they "don't have that info, to connect automatically" (which it has up to now).

Dennis

Can you give us a better idea of what information you are being asked for? Unless the techs at Suddenlink were asleep it shouldn't be that difficult to figure out the basics.

Also, it will probably help to know which model of router and modem you are using. It may be the same unit for both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Yes - name and model number of the router would be great. It is extremely possible the router has died. If it is working and suddenly is not that could be it but your provider should be much more helpful than what you are indicating.

Normally when a router is using it's own internal ip address that means for some reason it can not find the gateway to connect to the internet.

Also how are you using the Airport Extreme? Is it your wireless access? What are it's settings?
Post back with the above information and we can try to help you.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.