OS X 10.10.4 Beta Tester Needs HELP!

Reaction score
I am a trying to find a way to do a fresh install of my OS, but I'm unable to due to being a beta tester on OS X 10.10.4... The current version isn't available in the app store, so i cannot do this as i normally would. Any Help Greatly Appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well Betas are never available only from Apple. You have how to get in touch with them so ask. All you could do maybe is format and download and clean install Yosemite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Once your on a OS X Beta, there is NO going back, unless you do a complete wipe and reinstall of Yosemite.
This is why you should never install the Beta as your main OS on your Machine. I have a Partition just for Beta releases, so I can try and test without the worry that certain Features won't work. Apple routinely stops features on Betas, because they want people to test certain things, so until its close to release, you won't have all the features of the full OS.

Reaction score
but there is the problem he mentioned.

Mac os x yosemite beta will update the yosemite app to reinstall yosemite to developers beta status meaning no full version reinstall only beta reinstall

OP
S
Reaction score
...there is NO going back, unless you do a complete wipe and reinstall of Yosemite.

I attempted to reformat my hard drive from the recovery console, and it said unable to unmount disk.

Could you point me in the right direction on how to "complete wipe and reinstall"... as I believe I have tried it all... but still willing to try.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, wiped the hard drive, went to install OS X from app store, unavailable... I'm typing this from Safari in the recovery console... So I'm guessing i'm pretty well screwed until Yosemite gets released huh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yosemite was released mid October last year.

However did you download Yosemite from the App Store previously?

If yes hold down Option and hit Purchases and you should see the Yosemite Download button.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yosemite was released mid October last year.

However did you download Yosemite from the App Store previously?

If yes hold down Option and hit Purchases and you should see the bYosemite Download button.

I'm currently in Safari from the recovery terminal... I'm unable to open any OS X apps. :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How to do an Internet Recovery of OS X

Follow the above directions and you should be able to recover. Note: This is slow going so be sure you have good steady internet connection and be patient. And, next time use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper before installing a beta of OS X. ;)

OP
S
Reaction score
How to do an Internet Recovery of OS X

Follow the above directions and you should be able to recover. Note: This is slow going so be sure you have good steady internet connection and be patient. And, next time use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper before installing a beta of OS X. ;)

I cannot get this Mid 2009 Macbook to boot into internet recovery. I've tried right when i hear to chimes, right after i press the power button, as soon as the chimes fade out, and cannot get a spinning globe to appear. I do not want to install an alternate OS. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You REALLY should have had a backup of the OS on a Thumb Drive. Its the 2nd thing I do, every OS release, is make a Bootable Thumb Drive. I have them from Snow Leopard, all the way through to Yosemite. It saves me, from any trouble like this.
You will need a friend, who has Yosemite, and get them to make a Bootable thumb drive for you, using DiskMaker X . . .

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I do not want to install an alternate OS.

Internet Recovery installs the original version of OS X that was shipped with your 2009 MBP. Once you install that, you can proceed to downloading Yosemite over it. Otherwise you'll need to do what Brent suggested in the post above mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes we appreciate that but trying to help the guy. Why the question how was Ysemite downloaded.

OP
S
Reaction score
Internet Recovery installs the original version of OS X that was shipped with your 2009 MBP. Once you install that, you can proceed to downloading Yosemite over it. Otherwise you'll need to do what Brent suggested in the post above mine.

I do not have a MBP, I have a mid 2009 macbook. It's white.

As far as something smelling, I can and asked how to do something, I did what was said, and now I'm trying to get it back running again. This laptop was running Yosemite 10.10.4 before I formatted the hard drive and attempted to reinstall the OS.

I'm sorry if something doesn't stack up for some folks, but this is where I'm at. Sorry if my incompetence is too outrageous for you to provide assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We need to take a step back here.

Can you boot into the Recovery Partition, that was created when Yosemite was installed. When you hit the Power Button, hold down ⌘+R, or alternatively, ⌥ (Option) and then select the recovery Partition.

And a question, when you boot into Safe Mode, what OS is that ?? Check via the  top left and About this Mac.

EDIT: Just re-read the post - What is the recovery Terminal ?? How did you get into that ?? You might have the Terminology wrong, so if you could explain that would be great, so we know where you are.

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as something smelling, I can and asked how to do something, I did what was said, and now I'm trying to get it back running again. This laptop was running Yosemite 10.10.4 before I formatted the hard drive and attempted to reinstall the OS.

I'm sorry if something doesn't stack up for some folks, but this is where I'm at. Sorry if my incompetence is too outrageous for you to provide assistance.

No one is allowed to put you down. Just disregard what was posted - it has already been deleted. Follow what Brent and Moderator dtravis7 suggested. If you need any more assistance, follow up to this post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I attempted to reformat my hard drive from the recovery console, and it said unable to unmount disk.

Why are you trying to reinstall the OS in the first place? Were you having a specific problem of some sort? Are you sure you aren't having a hardware problem (crashed hard drive or other hardware failure)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.