concern with macbook pro

Reaction score
Hi, I own a 2011 macbook pro 13.3 inch. I been having problem with the keyboard lately, mostly number keys. when I went to turn on my macbook, the macbook would not start at all. I took it to a shop and they i needed a new motherboard and keyboard. They got the macbook on though by taking the battery out and putting it back in. I have been using the mac for about a hour with no problems. So my question is, Is it true the motherboard is damaged, or is it another part that needs to be fixed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So my question is, Is it true the motherboard is damaged, or is it another part that needs to be fixed.

There's really no way for us to provide any sort of diagnosis of your computer with the information given. Or not knowing what sort of troubleshooting has been done so far.

The repair folks you took it to:

- saw the computer
- touched the computer
- may have done some partial disassembly of the computer
- may have done some quick troubleshooting

And they came to the conclusion that the computer needed a replacement motherboard.

For us to be able to really help. We would at least need to know some history of this computer…and have you try some troubleshooting of the computer before we can provide any advice.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
There's really no way for us to provide any sort of diagnosis of your computer with the information given. Or not knowing what sort of troubleshooting has been done so far.

The repair folks you took it to:

- saw the computer
- touched the computer
- may have done some partial disassembly of the computer
- may have done some quick troubleshooting

And they came to the conclusion that the computer needed a replacement motherboard.

For us to be able to really help. We would at least need to know some history of this computer…and have you try some troubleshooting of the computer before we can provide any advice.

- Nick

Well it beens through usage, a lot of the time spent roaming the internet, and watching- streaming movies. It has had a replacement for a keyboard once. personally, I have not tried any troubleshooting, due to the fact that i'm worried that if the macbook shuts off, I can never it get back on. Plus, I understand their conclusion, but some people in this world just want money. The only thing i did before bringing it to the shop was fullying charging the battery, and let it sit overnight before trying to restart it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I have not tried any troubleshooting, due to the fact that i'm worried that if the macbook shuts off, I can never it get back on.

Have you at least backed up all the important "stuff" on the computer if it should fail/not turn on at some point?

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Have you at least backed up all the important "stuff" on the computer if it should fail/not turn on at some point?

- Nick

Yes, I backed up all with my external hard disk in case the macbook ever turns off or dies on me. I just dont want to replace something so costly, if i dont have to. The estimate he gave me for the keyboard and the motherboard was about six hundred and would take about a month.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I backed up all with my external hard disk in case the macbook ever turns off or dies on me.

Great to hear you have everything important backed up!:)

I just dont want to replace something so costly, if i dont have to. The estimate he gave me for the keyboard and the motherboard was about six hundred and would take about a month.

Yes…a replacement motherboard for an Apple computer is expensive. And many times…it's not worth it compared to the value of the computer. I'm in fact right now…typing on a 2011 13" MacBook Pro…and there's no way I would spend $600 on it to have a motherboard replaced. Why?…a 13" 2011 MBP in 100% working condition isn't worth $600 bucks. Or at best…is only worth $600.

And on top of this. Why wait a month (30 days) for this place to repair it…when you can take it to an Apple Store…and they would probably have it done in less than a week.

Anyway. You said that you're mostly having trouble with the number keys on this computer. If you're also having trouble turning it on…then there must be trouble with the power key as well.

I know that you have concerns about this computer not starting back up at some point. But if it's going to fail at some point…then it's going to fail. One thing I would try is doing an SMC Reset:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

I would say do this…and see if it helps.

- Nick

p.s. I should also ask.

- Why did the computer need the first keyboard replaced?
- How long has it been since that repair?
- Did the computer work fine after that repair?

OP
D
Reaction score

Yes…a replacement motherboard for an Apple computer is expensive. And many times…it's not worth it compared to the value of the computer. I'm in fact right now…typing on a 2011 13" MacBook Pro…and there's no way I would spend $600 on it to have a motherboard replaced. Why?…a 13" 2011 MBP in 100% working condition isn't worth $600 bucks. Or at best…is only worth $600.

And on top of this. Why wait a month (30 days) for this place to repair it…when you can take it to an Apple Store…and they would probably have it done in less than a week.

Anyway. You said that you're mostly having trouble with the number keys on this computer. If you're also having trouble turning it on…then there must be trouble with the power key as well.

I know that you have concerns about this computer not starting back up at some point. But if it's going to fail at some point…then it's going to fail. One thing I would try is doing an SMC Reset:

- Nick

p.s. I should also ask.

about a year and half, due to water damages {typing while i was wet from a shower}
it worked fine.
I want to believe that the power button might be broken, seems a lot more cheaper. I'm going to do that reset once my files are done backing up. Thank you for your help, and i will prob end up buying a new macbook if it's the motherboard.

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score

- Nick

p.s. I should also ask.

I just tried the power button and nothing appeared {that menu where it says "sleep, restart, shut down, or cancel" so i want to believe it is the power button that is broken.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
about a year and half, due to water damages {typing while wet from a shower}…

This is the piece of information that wasn't included in post #1. No matter how long a computer works fine after a "liquid issue"…there's always the possibility of something cropping up at some unknown point in the future. And I think that's what's happening now.

And let's look at things logically. If there was a liquid spill previously…and the keyboard was replaced…then problems with the 2nd keyboard should be taken out of the "equation". Since what's the likelihood a problem has surfaced with a 2nd keyboard. Pretty slim I would say.

The motherboard was not replaced…and could be the problem now.

I want to believe that the power button might be broken, seems a lot more cheaper.

I hope that the power button is the problem. If so…yes…that would be a MUCH less expensive repair.

...and i will prob end up buying a new macbook if it's the motherboard.

Yes…this is usually the outcome when a bad motherboard is the problem.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
This is the piece of information that wasn't included in post #1. No matter how long a computer works fine after a "liquid issue"…there's always the possibility of something cropping up at some unknown point in the future. And I think that's what's happening now.

And let's look at things logically. If there was a liquid spill previously…and the keyboard was replaced…then problems with the 2nd keyboard should be taken out of the "equation". Since what's the likelihood a problem has surfaced with a 2nd keyboard. Pretty slim I would say.

The motherboard was not replaced…and could be the problem now.

I hope that the power button is the problem. If so…yes…that would be a MUCH less expensive repair.

Yes…this is usually the outcome when a bad motherboard is the problem.

- Nick

so what would be the best way to test if it the motherboard or the power button, because i wont be able to turn on my macbook at all, which could be either the motherboard or the power button.plus, if the motherboard was bad, wouldn't my fan be going nuts, or the macbook would turn off randomly, Just some thing i'm wondering. Thanks for the help again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so what would be the best way to test if it the motherboard or the power button...

To test the power button…you would have to get access to the power button wires (which I think requires the removal of the motherboard.

Once you have access to the power button wires…then you properly attach a multimeter to the wires...press the power button itself…and see if you get proper continuity.

I'm don't know your expertise or experience level with this sort of stuff. But this of course requires you to do the DIY work. Otherwise this can get expensive if you have a shop do it.

You can go to ifixit.com to review the procedures.

- Nick

Reaction score
honestly most of those power buttons cannot be replaced i would honestly look at a new macbook or even another 2011 and i'm sorry to say pigoo3 is correct it's not worth fixing when you can get one on ebay for the same price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Reading through the posts I wondered when liquid damage would come up, from the symptoms it sounded most likely.

Is the repairer an Apple Authorised Service Provider? I suspect not, as a month to repair and quoting for a keyboard replacement are not normal. The keyboard is part of the top case with keyboard, and this also includes the power button. Apple or an AASP would not quote for replacing just the keyboard.

A technician can easily isolate the power button or keyboard by disconnecting the keyboard flex cable from the logic board, connect a usb mouse and keyboard, then short the logic board power on pads to start up. Doing this yourself I suspect will cause more damage.

For a reliable repair quote use either an Apple store or a reputable AASP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Can anybody confirm this, or anybody encountered something like this?

Confirm that liquid causes damage, yes. Encountered this problem, yes, I've seen three liquid damaged 13" MBP's and one 13" MacBook Air at work this week. Two MBP's and the MBA needed their top case with keyboard replacing, the other MBP required a top case with keyboard and logic board. The later was a mid 2012 model covered by a new for old insurance policy, and repair was cheaper than replacement.

Reaction score
Confirm that liquid causes damage, yes. Encountered this problem, yes, I've seen three liquid damaged 13" MBP's and one 13" MacBook Air at work this week. Two MBP's and the MBA needed their top case with keyboard replacing, the other MBP required a top case with keyboard and logic board. The later was a mid 2012 model covered by a new for old insurance policy, and repair was cheaper than replacement.

thanks it will really help me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.