Mail (without the dot)

N

nicely

I have a modest 159 messages, none with attachments, in my "In" mailbox. (We're talking POP3 here, not IMAP). I almost suffered apoplexy when two friends advised they were unable to forward a few small pictures, as promised, because my server declared my "mailbox was full." I couldn't believe it!

Neither message consisted of humongous attachments, just a few photos. I can't find any source that identifies a size limit on my In mailbox. I've got all kinds of room on my HD. How does it get full?

I'm running OS 10.3.9 on a G3 iBook. Would love some input.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Who is your ISP that you have your email account with? The message they are getting is from your ISP to them. Your mailbox on your ISP's server is full. Have you been deleting the messages off the email server? it's got nothing to do with your Macs hard drive being full.

Also a lot of ISP's limit the size of the uploads or attached files. In fact most do.

OP
N

nicely

dtravis7 said:
Who is your ISP that you have your email account with? The message they are getting is from your ISP to them. Your mailbox on your ISP's server is full. Have you been deleting the messages off the email server? it's got nothing to do with your Macs hard drive being full.

Also a lot of ISP's limit the size of the uploads or attached files. In fact most do.

Wow! I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years. If my ISP got the shakes over a few image files, I've look for a more comfortable roost. Shouldn't I have been advised of the problem by my server rather than be embarrassed by friends.

Thanks for the information.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
As dtravis7 suggested check your system e-mail settings and be sure to delete the mail from the server after it is downloaded to your system. That will resolve most of your mail box full problems.

Reaction score
I had Mail set do delete messages, but later I discovered that it didn't do so until a certain amount of time had passed. Now I have it remove them daily.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.