Simple Video Capture over Firewire to IMac

Reaction score
Hello All;
I am looking for a reliable, simple and high quality application that would allow me to capture video from Firewire (IEEE1394). I am converting my old VHS tapes into Digital Files by connecting a Cannopus AVC-55 DV Converter to a IMac via. Firewire. I have already verified that I am able to capture video successfully in IMovie and it works great. However I have found a few issues with IMovie that I don't like - Takes too long (Could take an hour just to render a 2 hr. video), and can't monitor the sound during capture. Isn't there a simple application out there that just captures a 720 X 480 video to the disk quickly and easily and does nothing else ?

If I am able to try before I buy, I would even be willing to pay for an application if it's what I'm looking for.

One last thing - Both my IMac and my MacBook are fairly old - IMac has OSX 10.5.8 and my MacBook Pro is probably just a little newer.

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I will tell you that rendering is very CPU intensive. With your older macs 1 hour per 2 hour video is about what you will get. No matter what you use it will take awhile.

I capture our church service every Sunday using a Canopus ADVC300 through firewire to a 2009 Macbook on to a USB External drive. I transfer it to a Mac Pro to do the editing and encoding. One hour of video encoding on the 2009 MacBook with her core2duo processor would take well over an hour. On the MacPro less than 10 minutes.

I don't think different software will shorten your encoding time. Maybe someone else knows of some other app that would speed things up but I think you will find it comes down to machine ability.

Lisa

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Agree with Lisa, encoding is CPU intensive. An hour encode time for a 2 hr video from a 2006-2007 era computer is a respectable time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.