upgrade mid-2010 Macbook Pro HD to SSD

Reaction score
I have a 13" mid-2010 Macbook pro that I would like to upgrade to an SSD and want to ensure I purchase a compatible drive.

Processor: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Any help or advice on choosing the right drive with the right specs would be most helpful.
Thanks.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Nick. I had a look and it seems that there are many 2.5" solid stae drives that can work for me. There was a great list of drives for me to start with. Very helpful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
I am looking at the HDD to SSD upgrade for MBP 2.66 MHz Core 2 Duo from Mid-2010 as well.

OWC SSDs are available in two versions, Mercury Electra and Extreme. Is 75 bucks higher price worth for the Extreme 240 GBs? The upgraded system will be for internet browsing, emails, MS Office stuff, just basic system use, not much heavy use. The most taxing will probably be YouTube videos...

Also...

What is the SATA interface on this MBK, 3G or 6G?
TIA...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
The Electra should be fine. The MB Pro 2010 has a 3G SATA interface.

I purchased the Extreme because I wanted the 5 year guarantee versus 3 year since I tend to keep a well running machine. Even though I am aware my Mac Pro only has the 3GB SATA connectors, I do a lot of video work and wanted the assurance.

One other thing about OWC drives is the inclusion on the firmware to deal with the changes to the TRIM function in Yosemite. Non-Apple SSD's can not use the TRIM function which is basically a garbage cleaning routine that keeps the drive running fast. OWC (and Crucial) have fixed that with their firmware included in the drive.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am looking at the HDD to SSD upgrade for MBP 2.66 MHz Core 2 Duo from Mid-2010 as well.
Also...

What is the SATA interface on this MBK, 3G or 6G?

Hello - just to address the question above since others have already provided excellent comments on your SSD upgrade options.

You can check the specs of your MBPro HERE - below is just a 'screen capture' of the HD description - good luck w/ the upgrade. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-06-01 at 10.34.40 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Thanks Lisa...

The Electra should be fine. The MB Pro 2010 has a 3G SATA interface.

I purchased the Extreme because I wanted the 5 year guarantee versus 3 year since I tend to keep a well running machine. Even though I am aware my Mac Pro only has the 3GB SATA connectors, I do a lot of video work and wanted the assurance.

With the 3G interface, the performance difference is probably less than it is on the 6G, Electra it is...

One other thing about OWC drives is the inclusion on the firmware to deal with the changes to the TRIM function in Yosemite. Non-Apple SSD's can not use the TRIM function which is basically a garbage cleaning routine that keeps the drive running fast. OWC (and Crucial) have fixed that with their firmware included in the drive.

Lisa

Wait... Does Crucial SSDs can do TRIM under OSX Yosemite, or are you referring to GC?

As far as I know Crucial SSDs has Marvell firmware that does Garbage Collection (GC) independent from the OS. Is that what you were referring to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Wait... Does Crucial SSDs can do TRIM under OSX Yosemite, or are you referring to GC? As far as I know Crucial SSDs has Marvell firmware that does Garbage Collection (GC) independent from the OS. Is that what you were referring to?

TRIM, Garbage Collection, and Advanced Garbage Collection are different methods for dealing with a build up of old deleted data and keeping your drive running fast. Apple disabled TRIM support for all non-apple SSD's. OWC and Crucial have both addressed this issue.

Here are a couple of links that explain it better and how OWC and Crucial deal with it.

To TRIM or not to TRIM (OWC has the answer) | Other World Computing Blog

https://www.cindori.org/trim-vs-garbage-collection/

TRIM and SSD performance: why is it important? - Crucial Community

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.