NTFS-3G stopped working. Error message is cryptic at best.

Reaction score
Toay I plugged a DOS backup disk into my Mac and got this error:

NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk1s1
at /Volumes/dos500G because the following problem occurred:

/Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/fusefs.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) link error; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
the MacFUSE file system is not available (71)

Can anyone suggest what is wrong and what to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
What version of OS X are you running? NTFS-3G and MacFUSE are older programs that were used to extend the file system compatibility of macs to include NTFS. It is not compatible with Yosemite - but I don't know what version of OS X you are running.

Here is a link to a discussion on those programs on the apple support community:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6900801

Lisa

OP
T
Reaction score
(this is a reply to lclev ... not sure why I had to edit that in.)
My OS? Yosemite. I was forced recently to upgrade recently from Snow Leopard in order to use Xcode. From the discussion you linked to, it seems Yosemite can read NTFS on it's own, but if I want to write to NTFS then I'll need to pay for something. It's not clear from what you wrote if MacFUSE is compatible with Yosemite (you had a pronoun shift from 'they' to 'it'), but I think I need to get rid of that, too. Is that right?

Last edited:
OP
T
Reaction score
What version of OS X are you running? NTFS-3G and MacFUSE are older programs that were used to extend the file system compatibility of macs to include NTFS. It is not compatible with Yosemite - but I don't know what version of OS X you are running.

Here is a link to a discussion on those programs on the apple support community:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6900801

Lisa
(Hi. I replied to your message, but it just showed up as another comment. Thank you for your help. I had an additional queston I asked you to clarify. Here's what was supposed to be the reply:

My OS? Yosemite. I was forced recently to upgrade recently from Snow Leopard in order to use Xcode. From the discussion you linked to, it seems Yosemite can read NTFS on it's own, but if I want to write to NTFS then I'll need to pay for something. It's not clear from what you wrote if MacFUSE is compatible with Yosemite (you had a pronoun shift from 'they' to 'it'), but I think I need to get rid of that, too. Is that right?

OP
T
Reaction score
(Hi. I replied to your message, but it just showed up as another comment. Thank you for your help. I had an additional queston I asked you to clarify. Here's what was supposed to be the reply:

Actually, I'm pretty sure I don't have it right, so if you can help I'd appreciate it. The discussion at apple that's linked isn't exactly clear -- one guy keeps repeating that you have to delete everything, other folks seem to disagree, then kind of waffle. I need to be able to read & write ... I used to be able to do that without problem on Snow Leopard. Would like to get the capability back without too much pain or $$ spent. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Okay now that you have clarified you are using Yosemite - and I have had my coffee - so I should be more coherent.... ;D

You will need to uninstall MacFUSE and NTFS-3G as they are incompatible with Yosemite.
I found this information when I googled how to uninstall the programs:
To remove NTFS-3G either open the NTFS-3G preference pane and click on the Uninstall button, or run the script at /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/Support/uninstall-ntfs-3g.sh.
To uninstall MacFUSE for OS X open the MacFUSE for OS X system preference pane and click the Uninstall button.

You are correct about Yosemite being able to read an NTFS drive. You can copy files over from the drive but you can not save to it. If you want to do so you can use the link that gsahli provided or purchase a copy of Paragon, which a lot of forum members recommend and I personally use.

Hopefully this helps!

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lisa is referring to Paragon NTFS ($19.95) from Paragon software. Personally, I would stay away from Fuse as it has been known to cause instability.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.