iMac not going to sleep

Reaction score
I'm on Yosemite. Was sleeping a couple of days ago, but not today. I have internet sharing turned off, and only file sharing turned on. Not sure what needs to be checked change; could someone help me out?

Wi-fi is off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
What are your settings under System Preferences -> Energy Saver? There is a slider at the top to set when your computer will sleep and also a slider to set when the display will be turned off.

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
Ten minutes or so; but even if I manually put it to sleep, it won't go; it just won't go to sleep.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the SMC on your iMac. Shut it down and remove the AC plug from the wall outlet. Let it set for around 10 minutes. Plug it back in and boot. See if it sleeps. If it doesn't sleep after the SMC reset, try booting into safe mode and see if it will sleep from safe mode. (hold down shift key and reboot to get into safe mode)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the SMC reset and attempting to put it to sleep from safe mode haven't worked, then we have to assume it's possibly a hardware issue. But before thinking about that, read thru this Apple KB article which covers some more of what we already covered. I notice that Apple recommends doing a PRAM reset. Anyway, read thru the article and let us know if you have any success.

OP
S
Reaction score
Forgot to mention this, if it makes any difference: the display will go to sleep (or go dark) but it won't go to sleep (that familiar 'power down' type of sound).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Still not going to sleep; any other suggestions?

I've found from time to time that these "sleep" issues can be software/OS related. Try running the free maintenance app called Onyx. Once downloaded & installed…just click on the automation button…and let it do its thing. Be sure you download the correct Onyx version for the OS version you have installed.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Seemed to fix it -- another poster gave me a list of things to look at, and when I went to my bluetooth settings I had a number of devices that were there -- including my MB Pro (although I can't understand why it would be a bluetooth connection to my iMac; don't remember ever setting that up.). Anyway, when I eliminated those devices the iMac went to sleep.

Anyone have any idea why this would happen? (I think it was my MB pro bluetooth connection that it couldn't find hat my have done it, but not sure).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have had an issue with sleep on my MacPro. I have been watching to see if anyone had a fix. I have tried all suggestions thus far and nothing. I can force it to sleep and it works but it won't sleep automatically.

I will look at my bluetooth settings. I do have a bluetooth Apple magic trackpad which replaced a wired mouse. I am now wondering if that could be it.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.