Rotating an image on new app Photo for Macbook

Reaction score
Hey, guys!
Wish you can help me.
I've just updated from iPhoto to the new app released called Photos.

Well, the problem is that I can't rotate my images with my trackpad as I used to before with my iPhoto.

I've searched for the solution, with no success...

Is there anyone here with the same problem? And do you know the solution for that? Thanks!!!

Macbook Pro, OS X (latest version).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hey, guys!
Wish you can help me.
I've just updated from iPhoto to the new app released called Photos.

Well, the problem is that I can't rotate my images with my trackpad as I used to before with my iPhoto.

Well, I don't use the app much but have a MBPro w/ Yosemite - opened Photos w/ an image of 'Half Dome' (in Yosemite National Park) - first image below points to the 'Edit' button; second image lists the items on the editing menu w/ the arrow pointing to 'Rotate' which I did on the Half Dome pic - hope that is what you are asking about?

BTW - Preview has some great imaging editing features, including rotation - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 10.19.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 10.20.05 AM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the great reply Dave. It seems too many folks are giving up on the new Photos program without actually trying to learn how to use it. Maybe we need to post a tutorial somewhere or point folks to a ready made tutorial link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks for the great reply Dave. It seems too many folks are giving up on the new Photos program without actually trying to learn how to use it. Maybe we need to post a tutorial somewhere or point folks to a ready made tutorial link.

Thanks Chscag - just took another look @ the Photos 'Edit Menu' - once there, the choices are pretty self-explanatory and somewhat limited, so not a full-blown image editor like Pixelmator. I actually do most of my 'basic' image edits w/ Preview and a short tutorial on that app might be worth consideration? Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I too have Pixelmator and try to use Preview whenever I can. There are already several good tutorials on using Pixelmator (Mac App Store has one) and some good YouTube videos on both Pixelmator and Preview.

This month's issue of Macworld (June) has a good article on using Photos. Of course the June issue of Macworld is edited before May or June so the article is basically talking about the beta version of Photos and Yosemite 10.10.3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And to go along with Daves great post, this site NoteBooks gives a great rundown of the features of Photos.

Here are a couple of images to show the "Advanced Editing Features" remembering, you need to have double clicked the image to expand it out of the Album.

This first one, shows how you can adjust ANY of the Default Filters, to suit any image and your needs.

mtWk7Vr.png

This one, shows how if you click Adjustments, then 'Add' you can select the Fine Tuning sliders you want, to adjust your images, and even save the sliders you want as a 'Default'. It really is a all in one Image Editor for the people that need them. Still not as much as Aperture, but I think it will get better over time.

Vyuaf6U.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.