Desktops vs Notebooks

Reaction score
I know Apple computers have very good resale value. I had trouble finding a good deal on a used Mac Mini long time ago. I finally found a good deal on it for a 2008 version

Now I am planning to get a new Apple computer but I realized that they haven't updated any of their desktop computers for a very long time. It seems their focus is now on notebook computers. That cost even more.

Now my question is, should a get a new Mac Mini or should I get a MacBook Air? I want to save money but at the same time, I want it to hold a good resale value.

Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Where are you looking.

Mac Pros not long updated and a new iMac last week?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I know Apple computers have very good resale value. I had trouble finding a good deal on a used Mac Mini long time ago. I finally found a good deal on it for a 2008 version

Now I am planning to get a new Apple computer but I realized that they haven't updated any of their desktop computers for a very long time. It seems their focus is now on notebook computers. That cost even more.

Now my question is, should a get a new Mac Mini or should I get a MacBook Air? I want to save money but at the same time, I want it to hold a good resale value.

Thanks everyone!

As Harry said they have recently updated the iMac and Mac Pro. Also the Mac Mini got a refresh in 2014.

Actually the Macbook Air has gotten the least love from the update parade. It seems so far no retina display for it on the horizon.

It really depends on what you want - portability or stationary. You can get more machine with the mini if portability is not a factor and you have a monitor already. The Mini can come with 16GB of memory.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Now I am planning to get a new Apple computer but I realized that they haven't updated any of their desktop computers for a very long time.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

I don't know what your idea of a "very long time" is. But Apple has certainly updated the desktop computer lines.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! :) I read an article recently about the Mac Pro not being updated for a long time so I guess when the article came out, the Mac Pro already got updated.

Anyway, I decided to get the Mac Mini.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Check the date on that article. There was a period of time where the Mac pro line went quite a while without updates. The current incarnation of Mac Pro was initially introduced in 2013 I think and has been updated recently.

Prior to about 2013 it had been a while since the last update. That was probably about the time the article was written.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like the mags in my Doctor's surgery!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.