using screen of a MacBook Pro from a G4 Powerbook with failed screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2009 5,3 OS10.11 + iMac2017 18,3 OS 10.13.6 + G4 Powerbook 2001 OS9.2 & 10.4.11
I have to use G4 PowerBook to run an essential OS9 prog. Today it suddenly went all black, though actually not quite black, it is just possible to see roughly what is on the screen and that it is running.

I have also rescued critical files to my MacBook Pro using the PB in target disk mode.

I have looked at iFixit article on replacing LCD, but would prefer to go for finding another PB if I can.

However, is there any way I could use the screen of the MacBook Pro from the PowerBook?

Both 17" models latest in their class PB OS 10.4.11 & 9.2 - MB P OS10.8.5

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
However, is there any way I could use the screen of the MacBook Pro from the PowerBook?

Not directly…nice the MacBook Pro does not have a video-in port. There is a program called "Screen Recycler"…but it may or may not be compatible with the OS you're running on the Powerbook.

Your best option would probably be to simply use an external monitor with the Powerbook. And/or use it on "Clamshell Mode":

http://www.mariasguides.com/2009/12/22/mac-os-x-using-your-laptop-in-clamshell-mode/

If you don't have an external monitor…you can get them pretty cheaply via eBay or Craig's List.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2009 5,3 OS10.11 + iMac2017 18,3 OS 10.13.6 + G4 Powerbook 2001 OS9.2 & 10.4.11
Thank you Nick
Screen recycler does seem to work on OS 10.4. However I don't think I have any control of the PowerBook without its screen and for some reason I can't connect to it as a server via ethernet as it won't accept what I feel is the right admin & password.

However it works in Target Mode. I feel it might be possible to upgrade this connection to a 2 way network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I think you should think about using screen sharing/VNC/Apple Remote Desktop.
I use my old PM G4 MDD (sitting in the basement) regularly to use "Classic" apps that I still like. I connect to it from upstairs in my office (I have ethernet in my house). VNC on 10.4.11 is more responsive that 10.9 or 10.10!

So the problem is whether you already turned on Remote Login or Apple Remote Desktop in Sharing prefs on the old computer?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you gsahli - this looks like a good answer, only VNC is not something I have ever used and a slightly old dog (75) to be teaching new tricks to!

The good news is that the defunct screen is not totally defunct; with a very bright light I can just about see what is going on on it and can see I have sharing and remote login turned on. It says "to log in to this computer remotely, type "ssh [email protected] etc" at a shell command prompt.

I have both straight and crossover ethernet cable available

So, where to next in easy stages (if you have time and infinite generosity)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The good news is that the defunct screen is not totally defunct; with a very bright light I can just about see what is going on on it...

This is not uncommon on older laptop computers. What has happened is..the backlight on your computer has stopped working. It's the backlight that actually illuminates the display screen. The inverter board may have failed (like this):

Powerbook G4 17" Aluminum Inverter Board

So replacing the inverter board may bring the display back to 100% operation.

On the other hand you could try the idea I suggested earlier…which was to simply use an external monitor with your Powerbook. Since you can see things on the Powerbook's display (with the use of a bright light). You can plug in an external monitor…turn on "Display Mirroring"…and see everything on the external monitor just like you would with the Powerbooks built-in display.:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again Nick….I have done simple internal repairs on notebooks, but the inverter instructions look too extensive and prone to hazard for my taste. Also the inverters are a lot more expensive in UK

The extra screen is getting a tad impractical as I am very tight for space and I need the MacBook Pro for much of the time aswell as the Classic task.

So gsahli's route sounds good to me in principle. The Powerbook can easily go on the floor behind my desk….just I am not getting very far with the implementation having never tangled with VNC nor remote desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again - I had better have a look at this chicken as I spent some time trying to find the in-house screen sharing app using each of David's methods and it just isn't there. Just possibly it may have been on original install discs, but I got the computer used, some sort of Tiger retro-fitted back over Leopard and Classic from elsewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Just a reminder - after turning on Apple Remote Desktop on the old G4, nothing else needs be done on it.
The new Mountain Lion (10.8.x) MBP will be the client, and the client computer is where you run Safari with vnc://192.168.x.x as the URL to go to - you put in the local IP address of the G4.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, I have finally got it to work using the Preferences>sharing on the PowerBook (no chickens in sight) and side-bar connection to it on the MacBook Pro. I needed to spot that the PowerBook was wanting the MacBook OKd while the MacBook was trying to make the connection.

Its kind of creepy having this smaller screen operating a Classic program within the MacBook Pro screen; there is a half-second delay on the cursor movement and getting used to having to take on board 2 menu bars and 2 docks, but as near to magic as one gets in real life.

Thank you both for your help and encouragement and gsahli for this useful trick.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, I have finally got it to work...

Thank you both for your help and encouragement and gsahli for this useful trick.

Congrats on getting this option to work!:)

Yes...that delay is probably the biggest downside to this setup. But if that's not a problem...sounds like you got a solution that fits your needs!:)

"High-5" to gsahli for suggesting it! And detailing how to do it:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.