Prepare MacBook Pro 2010 for sale...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
I've got a MacBook Pro from 2010 and trying to prepare for sale and/or donate it. Using the internet recovery option ("Command + R"), Apple support states:

If you use Internet Recovery to reinstall OS X, it installs the version of OS X that originally came with your computer.
Well, that's not what I see. The only option is to install OS X Yosemite that also requires logging in with the Apple ID. Once my ID is logged in, the installation proceeds just fine. That's not what I wanted, so...

I've downloaded OS X Yosemite and created a USB install media. Installing from the USB without network connection proceeds just fine, no need to use the Apple ID. After the installation has completed, updates can be installed without using the Apple ID.

Can I sell/donate the MacBook Pro with OS X Yosemite installed from the USB media? The installation can be exited at the point of selecting the region and let the new owner complete the setup. That's pretty much the same as the condition of the new MacBook Pro, AFAIK.

I could even give the new owner the USB installation media, if that's necessary, just want to make sure that the new owner will have no issues with running OS X Yosemite.

Maybe Apple authorized the MacBook from 2010 for my Apple ID, when I used the internet recovery option. I seem to recall that there's an option to de-authorize apple devices somewhere, but I don't recall where.

Any guidance would be much appreciated...
TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
OP
Cr00zng
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Thanks Lisa...

I did look up Apple support pages for reinstalling OS X and can do it either by internet recovery or USB install options. I've also found how to deauthorize the laptop in question through iTunes and did it.

Does that mean the MacBook Pro is ready for the new owner and he/she will have no issues with running OSX Yosemite?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If you followed all the steps in the link I posted (signed it out of iTunes and deleted it from registered devices in iCloud) and you did not use your apple id anytime during the install it should be good to go. As far as any issues - baring any hardware issues (failing storage drive, dying battery etc) it should be fine.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.