SSD Longevity

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" rMBP 2014, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 2.6GHz i5
I have recently been looking into the longevity of SSDs. My drive is a 128GB SSD that came with my MBP. I want to keep the drive as healthy as possible to maximise efficiency and also longevity.

I've read a few conflicting pieces of information about the longevity of SSDs and the amount of writes done to them. This information ranges from 5 years to 100 years if 40GB is written daily. Can anyone comment on this as they both differ a lot!

I was also looking into the possibility of turning Safe Sleep off to reduce the number of writes on the drive. I've read articles that say the sleep image is the same size as your total RAM (mine is 8GB), but the sleep image on my Mac is only 1.07GB. Is it worth me turning Safe Sleep off in order to firstly, reduce the number of writes, and secondly save the valuable 1GB on my small drive? My Mac never runs below 50% battery.

Does anybody have any other suggestions on how to maximise the life of my SSD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm going to suggest that you don't worry too much about "preserving its life" and I dare say, you'll probably be replacing it with a larger size unit well before its old age and its ready to die.

And don't worry too much about "Safe Sleep" either as you probably will avoid the two situations in which a computer will enter safe sleep anyway:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201635

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This information ranges from 5 years to 100 years if 40GB is written daily.

If this is the information you found. More than likely…your SSD will last more than 5 years…and a lot less than 100 years. If you get more than 5 years…most likely you will upgrade the computer before the SSD goes bad. So no worries.:)

When you sell the computer used (to someone like me)…I'm the person who REALLY needs to be concerned!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How long is a piece of string?

Had SSD fail from box, brand new (G.Skill Falcon) to three months (Kingston Now), non firmware upgradeable (Owc) which was replaced. For what it is worth have had the best run form OWC and OCZ SSDs.

So I would suggest there is no guarantee of long life in any hard drive, solid state or platter. Just buy the one with the best warranty.

OP
imfromwales
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it's a very subjective question that I was posing, but I was just looking for rough ideas. I've heard several places (not just here), to forget about your SSD and use it as normal, which I think I will do.

Would AppleCare cover you for drive failures if the drive was used normally, and not in some extreme way (like constantly operating at Everest Base Camp).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it's a very subjective question that I was posing, but I was just looking for rough ideas. I've heard several places (not just here), to forget about your SSD and use it as normal, which I think I will do.

When it comes to longevity of a storage device...it really is a "pandora's box"...whether a traditional spinning HD or an SSD. Just like "Pandora's Box"...we really dont know what's inside (longevity of a storage device).

Like Harry said...get one with a good warranty. And of course...keep current with the backups.:)

Would AppleCare cover you for drive failures if the drive was used normally, and not in some extreme way (like constantly operating at Everest Base Camp).

If it can be proven that the failure was a manufacturing defect...yes. But this can be difficult. But if it's out of warranty...probably not. But then again...you guys in the UK seem to have stricker consumer protection laws (which also probably is part of the reason for higher prices)!;)

But for many people...data loss is the greater concern when a storage device fails. So again...backups.:)

- Nick

OP
imfromwales
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have started my backup procedure, and I plan to add to it when I get an EHD in the coming weeks.

I know there will be problems when it comes to warranty issues because the MBP was purchased in NZ, but I plan to move to the UK and Canada within the next few years. I think that will prove problematic when trying to claim.

I'll have to look into AppleCare a bit further, to see what it's all about. I've read people swear by it, but also others say it's worthless.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know there will be problems when it comes to warranty issues because the MBP was purchased in NZ, but I plan to move to the UK and Canada within the next few years. I think that will prove problematic when trying to claim.

So where the heck are you now...NZ or Wales? I thought you were in Wales according from your USERID!;)

I thought that maybe you were up pretty early if in the UK (about 6:30am). But if you're in NZ...then it's early afternoon!:)

I'll have to look into AppleCare a bit further, to see what it's all about. I've read people swear by it, but also others say it's worthless.

When it comes to extended warranties...there will always be folks who will be pro or con about them. One thing to remember. If you have a 2014 rMBP...the storage inside is really not user replaceable. And I don't think any 3rd party seller has come up with a DIY solution yet.

So if your rMBP's internal storage fails...you're going to be out of luck with no warranty. With the newer MacBook Pro's that have almost no user upgradeable parts (ram and storage)...the Extended Applecare carries more "weight" than it used to.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have to add each of G.Skill, Kingston and OWC were great. Just return with a claim form supplied by seller and a new one received within seven days.

OP
imfromwales
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So where the heck are you now...NZ or Wales? I thought you were in Wales according from your USERID!;)

I thought that maybe you were up pretty early if in the UK (about 6:30am). But if you're in NZ...then it's early afternoon!:)

No, no, I'm currently checking out NZ. Been working here for half a year or so but will be moving within the next year...

When it comes to extended warranties...there will always be folks who will be pro or con about them. One thing to remember. If you have a 2014 rMBP...the storage inside is really not user replaceable. And I don't think any 3rd party seller has come up with a DIY solution yet.

So if your rMBP's internal storage fails...you're going to be out of luck with no warranty. With the newer MacBook Pro's that have almost no user upgradeable parts (ram and storage)...the Extended Applecare carries more "weight" than it used to.

- Nick

That's a very valid point! I've been looking on OWC and Crucial for upgraded SSDs, possibly 256GB, but I cant find anything for my 2014 rMBP. Am I right in saying if I open the case I void my warranty? Do you think it would be worthwhile calling Apple and asking them if they can provide me with any larger SSD?

Have to add each of G.Skill, Kingston and OWC were great. Just return with a claim form supplied by seller and a new one received within seven days.

So the claims process for the three of them is very good?!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you think it would be worthwhile calling Apple and asking them if they can provide me with any larger SSD?

To the best of my knowledge I don't think Apple does this. At least I have never heard of anyone having this done. You're pretty much supposed to configure the MacBook Pro with the most internal storage you will need before purchase.

But the internal storage is removable. So who knows. But it could be pretty expensive if Apple did do this. Companies like OWC have developed storage upgrades for earlier rMBP's. But I don't think there's anything available yet for 2014 rMBP's. But I wouldn't be surprised if OWC came up with something in the future.:)

- Nick

OP
imfromwales
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I'll just have to wait and see if there are any future upgrades available from TP companies. Thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.