type doesn't appear on screen immediately

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not much information to work on.

BT go into System Preferences and check Keyboard settings.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. At times, the letters are showing up on the screen are 4 or 5 behind what I am typing (and I am not a fast typist). There is some pin-wheeling and then all I have typed suddenly appears. In settings, "key repeat" is set to about 80% of max. This is only an occasional problem. but I am puzzled

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still no information so hard to help further.

If this is on a1998 Bondi Blue 233MHz iMac, running OS 8.6 don't worry. If on the other hand it is a brand new Mac Pro, big problems.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry. I'm new to this and appreciate your help. I will try to provide more info. My Mac is a late 2012 MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz / i7 8GB 1600 MHz DDr3. As I said, this is not a constant problem, but it's new. I found that ad-blocker was slowing things down, so that is off for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
So are you running Yosemite? Or some other version of OS X?

How full is your hard drive/SSD? If it is getting too full this can cause swap file issues and slowdowns.

Have you tried run Repair Permissions or Disk Repair? Try restarting your computer and hold down Command + R to enter into recovery mode. Select Disk Utilities and do a repair on permissions and the startup main disk.

I doubt adblock (if it is the one that is an extension in your browser) is the issue. Try the above and post back the results.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm running Safari 10.8.5. I'll do what you recommended and report back. Again, thanks for the help. Also, since it occurs only intermittently, it may be a while before I know if the problem is solved.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No you are running Mountain lion OS X.8.5 and Safari 5/6 something. You do have sufficient memroy so it is something else. Do you use a wired or Bluetooth keyboard or just the standard keypad? Also if you do not do any maintenance, consider download and running Onyx, verion 2.7.4, the third one in the link provided.. Keep well away from mMckeeper, CleanMyMac etc.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant Safari 6.2.6. I use Drive Genius for maintenance. Standard keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Also .... back to basics .....
Launch the ActivityMonitor.app from Applications/Utilities and verify if there is a process that is eating all your CPU cycles ( Make sure you have all processes listed ).
If there is a process that is consuming a lot of CPU ( for a reason unknown to you ) let us know.
It could be a simple as that.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
M
Reaction score
I appreciate all of the help. When I try to launch the Activity Monitor app, I get a message stating that I can't use my version (10.5) of Activity Monitor with my version of OS X.

Thanks DK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
How did you install Mountain Lion ?
I think it is strange to have an old version of ActivityMonitor in the Application/Utilities folder since that application is bundled with the OS.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You do have an Apple ID if you downloaded from Apple?

Suggest going into the App Store and downloading the OS X.8.5 Combo Updater and running that to see if it cures the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.