Upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion with a bootable Mac OS Installer

Reaction score
Hello… Let me first say that I am not too techie, so please keep that in mind if you reply to my post. :Confused:

Having said that, I have spent a bit of time time researching and think I have 90% of the info I need. As a turtle, I'd like to proceed sloooowly but surely and perhaps the community can help with the remaining 10% so that I don't flip on my back and hose my system.

A) OBJECTIVE:

1) I'd like to *upgrade* from Lion 10.7.5 to Mountain Lion by executing a bootable Mountain Lion Installer ESD that is on a flash drive created around Jan 2013. BTW, I was unable to update through the App Store (see Background below).

2) I do *not* want a clean install of Mountain Lion, I just want to upgrade the OS X.

3) I would like to retain my data and preferences.

B) QUESTIONS:

1) To upgrade, do I boot normally from the HD containing Lion and then launch the Mountain Lion Installer that is on the flash drive? (From what I read, I think pressing the Option key while starting up is for Clean installs when you want to boot from the ESD drive. Right?)

2) When I launch the installer, will it present me with an option to Upgrade (as opposed to doing a clean install)? Or does the Installer know that I'm not doing a clean install since the HD is not reformatted?

3) I'll also download security updates for Mountain Lion beforehand. Will the latest update include all previous updates? Or do I need to download each update and apply them in succession?

C) BACKGROUND (In case you need more info):

App Store:
I tried to update from Lion 10.7.5 on my MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 to Mountain Lion via the App Store. I purchased Mountain Lion awhile ago for another Mac. In the App Store, Mountain Lion is listed under Purchases. There is a Download link

However, no matter what I tried, when I click the Download button, I get the dreaded "There was an error in the App Store… error (13)". When I try to Update iMovie, it says I need 10.10.2, so it appears the Error 13 problem is isolated to Mountain Lion (and GarageBand and iPhoto).

BTW, I deleted appstore cache, cookies, preferences. Signed into iTunes and App Store with the same Apple ID, logged out, then back in. Emptied trash, restarted the computer, tried from admin and non-admin accounts. Nothing works. Days passing, no success. sigh.

ABOUT THE BOOTABLE OS X INSTALLER:
The bootable Mac OS X Install ESD of Mountain Lion on my flash drive was downloaded from the App Store in 2013. Today, I test started a launch of the ESD and verified that it launches, but I cancelled out.

Just in case, I have a CCC backup of my MacBook Pro and I was able to boot from it and run applications A-OK.

Cheers and thanks in advance! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Great ypu have everything backed up. With the flsh drive, boot up, double click the flash drive and M.L. should launch and simply do an upgrade.

OP
T
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Great ypu have everything backed up. With the flsh drive, boot up, double click the flash drive and M.L. should launch and simply do an upgrade.

G'day and thank you for being the first to reply to my first post! :Cool:

Just to be clear, do I boot up with the Lion 10.7 hard drive selected as the startup drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. Then double click the flash drive and it will run the Installer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My pleasure Turtle. Keep coming back lots of good info on these forums.

OP
T
Reaction score
3) I'll also download security updates for Mountain Lion beforehand. Will the latest update include all previous updates? Or do I need to download each update and apply them in succession?

Greetings… I'm back!

After more checking, I am now confused about which software and security updates I should apply after I upgrade to 10.8.2 which is the version on my bootable flash drive. The most current version of Mountain Lion is 10.8.5 so there are several updates to download.

AUTO SOFTWARE UPDATE: I understand that I could simply run "Software Updates". While this might be the easiest method, I think it would be good to work on Plan B should Software Update hiccup.

Plan B: MANUALLY DOWNLOAD UPDATES: However, I am not clear on exactly which updates I would need to download. There are 3 Combo Updates and a bunch of Security Updates at support.apple.com/en_US/downloads/mountain lion

Here are the three Combo Updates for Mountain Lion released after 10.8.2:
OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.3 (Combo)
OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.4 (Combo)
OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.5 (Combo)

The most recent Security Update appears to be:
Security Update 2015-004 Mountain Lion

My questions are:
1) Do Combo Updates include Security Updates?
2) Does the most recent Security update for Mountain Lion include previous security updates? Or do I need to download each one?
3) Would you recommend the auto Software Update or manually downloaded updates… and Why?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Download and run Combo Updater OS X.8.5 and system updates do not normally include security updates. Install the OS X.8.5 Combo Update and then hit Software Update in the App Store and if you need anything further it will download.

OP
T
Reaction score
Download and run Combo Updater OS X.8.5 and system updates do not normally include security updates. Install the OS X.8.5 Combo Update and then hit Software Update in the App Store and if you need anything further it will download.

That sounds like a good plan... straightforward and less complicated than I imagined.

Thanks again! Have a G-day!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At my age love, every day is a G-day!!!

OP
T
Reaction score

I am happy to report back that the upgrade and subsequent updates all went smoothly! It was helpful to have just the downloads I needed beforehand.

Many thanks and kudos to harryb2448 who took the time to read my long post and provide spot-on guidance. G-day! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Again my pleasure. Keep coming back?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.