Why do YOU use a mac?

D

Devilmang

Hey everyone, first post go easy...

I have an iBook G4 that I bought after my Dell died. Have been hooked since.

So why do you use a mac?
For me, I hate to be cliche but "it just works". QFT.

OP
T

tortoise

When I was a graphic designer I had no choice. That field (at least back in 94-98ish) was 110% Mac. I didn't mind because I loved the interface to MacOS8 and 9.

Now I use a Mac because it's an amazing melding of a really high quality, gorgeous gui environment that is a complete pleasure to use and a complete Unix system under the hood offering me everything I need in that department. Basically I sum it up as "an amazingly good Linux" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
i want to be unique and i like "expensive" things...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
Honestly I have been a windows user all my life. I was so tired of the lag and lock ups, and thought to myself, "there has to be an easier way". I would see shows and movies with computers that would run EXTREMLY well. then I noticed alot of the computer used in shows and movies were macs. I had heard so much hype about the mac from die hard mac users. it got me thinking. I really had nothing to compare the PC with, but I started to pay MORE attention on how things ran on windows, as well as realized that a lot of things I had put into my PC were dramaticly "decaying" over time. Graphic cards were becoming frequent upgrades. Antivirus programs were starting to take up more space on my hdd than other programs. simple things like sufing the internet were becoming slower due to ALL the Daily updates on the Windows software. I got fed up. I got a imac and I LOVE it. No more "daily" updates, no more lag time, no more lock ups. Plus, being that I had never used a machine that had so much smoothness when it came to multitasking, I was Completely blown away!!! I will never go back to a windows machine.

Reaction score
iWonder said:
i want to be unique and i like "expensive" things...
LO LLLEL. someone sent me this fake apple advertisement about that sort of thing. it was hilarious, ill have to find it so i can post it. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i use it because i tried it a few years ago and fell in love since
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
My PC with 1GB of RAM and a P4 2.8 CPU just died and after having used Windows (3.1 thru XP Pro) since the days of yore when a 386 with 4 megs of RAM was state of the art, I've finally had it. I never played much in the way of games anyway, so that wasn't an issue.
I just couldn't be bothered anymore with the constant maintenance, the annoyances that haven't been fixed in generations, the overheating, the hardware conflicts, the dozen security vulnerabilities every week, the software updates...so a few days after the Mintels got announced, I ordered one of the last few G4 minis, maxed it out in options and still got a deal on it. May not be a screaming fast machine, but it's quiet, cool, does almost everything I need it to do and in the 4 days that I had it, I got a better handle on the OS than a beginner might get in 4 years of Windows. Now I'm kicking myself for not having done The Switch years ago. Oh well. Wondering if I shouldn't go on eBay and replace the other two PCs with some PowerMacs, too, leaving just one spare PC for running those few programs that don't have an equivalent on this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
RiseAbove24 said:
LO LLLEL. someone sent me this fake apple advertisement about that sort of thing. it was hilarious, ill have to find it so i can post it. :p

What, the iProduct?

iProduct-thumb.gif

:p

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
Why do I use a mac? I'm in engineering

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
I started using a Mac when I began editing professionally. Was using Avid on a PC and got sick of having to restart when the processor gave up half way thru a large render session.

Called in a favour at a studio near me, and started working on FCP. Never went back. Within a week, I had sold my PC and bought a G4.

I just like the way things work on mac. Would never go back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Ive been using windows for a over 10 years and then started using linux for about 3 years and loved that, friend of mine got a PowerMac and then came to me and said buy one as you'd love it.
A PowerBook came up at the right price so i bought it knowing i could sell it on knowing that id loose nothing on it apart from my time.

With in 30minutes of turning it on, reinstalling the OS (was a 2nd hand machine) and then setting up my account and installing office i was sold on it already.
I loved it so much i applied to work for Apple and now i work for them and as they say the rest is history!

OP
S

sdilley14

This single instance has prolly made me a Mac user for life. Last night I worked on my website for 10 hours straight...literally. The entire 10 hours, I had MSN, PhotoShop CS, DreamWeaver, iTunes, Safari, and FireFox all running at once. I was switching back and fourth between apps prolly every 2 minutes, had a good 4-5 tabs open in Safari, and was editing several pages on my website. The entire 10 hours, nothing froze up, nothing lagged, nothing shut down, no glitches, NOTHING. It ran flawlessly for 10 hours doing some pretty major multitasking. I was switching back and fourth between PS, DW, Safari, and iTunes constantly, and never had any lag or instability whatsoever. I couldn't dream of doing this on any of the PCs I've owned. I'm running a 1.5GHz PB G4 w/768MB. I've owned a 2.5GHz AMD Athlon machine, and a Dell 6000D w/1.73GHZ Centrino and 1GB, and neither of those systems, even brand new with a fresh install of XP, could EVER handle this for 10 hours straight without lagging like crazy or having atleast one of the programs crash somewhere down the line. Then I come to find that OSX comes with Apache preinstalled so I can test my website on my local network! Unreal. I guess after being a Windows victim for 10+ years it's hard to get used to the idea of relentless stability and consistent performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
heh :D i love my mac :D

no system crashes ! :O
its FAST!
it does make quite some noise, but who cares, it has handles so you can pick it up and swing at anyone who complains about the noise :p
its not windows! :p

gawd im glad i left windows... :p

OP

2000blasterboy

for me my first coputer ever was like a proforma2500 or somthing lol, i liked it but all my friends had windows computers and i couldnt play the same games ect, so eventually i switched to windows, and now i am getting sick of my **** computer locking up, or just freezing every day, so i got an ibook, i had one before but i could not switch becasue i needed certain software then, now i dont, so i am back mac! lol
Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Because my G4 Cube looks cooler than my other computers. Really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
We had an old Gateway at home that was dying, and I work on a PC here at work all day long. I followed the iMacs from G3 on up while looking to replace our home computer. The Gateway kept working (barely) until we replaced it with an iMac G5 w/ iSight in January.

I wanted a home computer to do home things. Surfing the net and email of course. But I also wanted to get into more digital photos and home videos. The Mac's stability, security and the design of the computer also sold me.

OP
I

imacdoyou

I've worked with windows for 10 years and started with debian 3 years ago. I bought a discontinued 20" Imac G5 to replace my homebuilt PC. I've outgrown gaming, and now mostly work with music, photos, and home movies. The mac is perfect for this. I use iweb and dot Mac to share my photos and home movies and the family loves being able to see it on the web!!
I've only had my G5 for three weeks and have never used a Mac before I got this one. I combed this forum for weeks before I bought it to make sure that a Mac would fit my needs. It has been an awesome experience so far. No lock ups, no error messages, nothing but stability. I never turn it off, just let it go to sleep. I could never do that with my old XP box. It would lock up every time.
And there's also another reason I bought a Mac: They are just so **** nice looking!!!

Switching from XP to OS X was not scary at all; it was quite refreshing to be able to learn something new besides how to use ctrl+alt+del all the time :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM
I've been using macs (Power PC 7600) since working at my first recording studio in '99. Since then I bought a second hand Quadra (remember those?)running OS 8, Power PC G3, Ibook G3 and just recently purchased a cool powerbook G4.
It has been virtually effortless sailing on these machines ever since first using them. Minimal to nil crashes, never had a virus and speedy.
Never owned a Windows PC, but I use one at the current studio I work at. It always crashes and last week it kicked the bucket. The studio just bought a G5 though:)
I'm looking at helping my mum get the new imac for her publishing business.

Macs rule.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
i had both system at home that i would bounce between for doing different things. but after the last crash, i was just few up with the constant tweaking and maintenence i had to do to keep it ship shape. don't get me wrong, i had built me system and it was a killer, but the joy it brought me soon didn't counter the annoyance and frustration enough to continue working and supporting it.

so the old G4 and the PC components went to go find new homes and i now play around with my new mini as it does everything i want it to do. (except high level gaming, but i knew that when i bought it!)

Reaction score
I've been a designer for 5 years now, as a profession I use macs, Two days ago my first mac arrived for home... 20" imac intel. Macs since OS X have changed how I view computers. I just want to use them, I don't need to fiddle anymore I want something that works.

In my profession I am a rare breed, I am a graphic designer and windows 2k network admin... weird indeed however I see the difference :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.