Mac can't see card reader

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What Mac, what card reader, what version of OS X? We're not very good at guessing...

OP
B
Reaction score
MacBook Pro, OSX Yosemite, Fuji USB Multi Card Reader.

It "used" to detect my reader fine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, have you tried the card reader in another computer? If it's a standard card reader it will show up as a standard USB device. Also, some card readers will not mount on the desktop unless a card has been inserted. Does it show up when you insert a card?

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah, not working in my partners mac pro either. No it doesn't show up when the cards in.

This is a new reader that I bought because my old one (not sure of brand, but same multi reader) was no longer being detected. However, while it won't show up on the desktop, it does bring up "disk utility", with a message saying "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." I then click Initialize and you can see the reader sitting there in the disk utility but I don't have the option to verify or repair disk. Not even sure if that's what I should be doing anyway?

The new reader doesn't register in anyway. Strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
What may be common to both readers is the cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hmmm…??? And does the card being inserted happen to have a tiny lock switch that's in the lock position to protect its contents from being read or accessed???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, not working in my partners mac pro either. No it doesn't show up when the cards in.

This is a new reader that I bought because my old one (not sure of brand, but same multi reader) was no longer being detected. However, while it won't show up on the desktop, it does bring up "disk utility", with a message saying "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." I then click Initialize and you can see the reader sitting there in the disk utility but I don't have the option to verify or repair disk. Not even sure if that's what I should be doing anyway?

The new reader doesn't register in anyway. Strange.

I'm wondering if the card you have in the card reader is formatted as NTFS? Do you have a PC that you can try the card reader in with the same card?

OP
B
Reaction score
I've tried the readers with different cards. I'm a photographer and use my cards all the time, over and over. There has never been a problem until now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, then the only conclusion I can think of is that you have a bad card reader. Any way that you can get a refund or exchange it for another?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I learned early on that card readers are disposable items. e.g. They work until they don't, so I buy them 2-3 at a time when I'm down to my last working one. Other disposables for me are lightning cables and the cheap earbuds I use for listening to books .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.