how do you authenticate an iphone please?

Reaction score
Whether brand new and sealed or used, with so many counterfeit and stolen phones around, how can a person tell if the iphone they bought is both authentic and not stolen? If I should take it to an Apple store will they be able to tell me?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's fine, it will tell you the specs about the phone and its out of warranty. This is just a way of verifying that the serial number on the phone is valid as far as Apple is concerned..

You should get the specifics about the device when you enter it like the screenshot for my iPhone 5S here..

Screen Shot 2015-05-21 at 5.15.01 PM.png

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, I am guessing that method should tell if a phone is authentic. Any way to tell if a phone is stolen?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the owner reported the phone as stolen, I imagine a serial number check would report that.

OP
M
Reaction score
One would think nowadays that every phone would have a tracking system and some way to cut down on theft. Also, I had read an article which mentions that people switch the plates with the serial number on it so no one would know if it's a fake or not in that situation but what is confusing is if a person should switch the plate with an already used serial number then what happens?.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well yes Nick but as mentioned if the face plate is switched then that article's methods would be useless?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well yes Nick but as mentioned if the face plate is switched then that article's methods would be useless?

Mike. You're looking at a worst case scenario…that probably happens 1:1,000 or 1:10,000.

If you're this concerned…and cannot find a satisfactory answer…then don't buy used. Just buy new or refurbished.:)

You must remember. The "bad guys" are always 2-3 steps ahead of the "good guys". There are scams out there that you and I don't even know about. So knowing solutions to all of the "known scams"…will still leave you vulnerable to newer scams that are not widely known.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should also say that the vast majority of folks selling used electronics (phones, computers, tablets, etc.)…are good honest hard-working folks like you & me.:)

I've been purchasing used electronics for probably 10 years via Craig's List…and close to 15 years via eBay. I'm talking lots & lots of transactions. I think that maybe 1-2 purchases over those 10 years my "spider-sense" was going off a bit.

You just got to use your best judgement of the individual. Before the transaction lots of emails & questions, Then when you meet face to face…evaluate things they say, things they do, how they represent the item, body language, etc. And of course also use best judgement when THROUGHLY examining & testing the item.

Of course (for example) even if I've done 100 transactions…and had one go wrong (99% success rate)…I still wouldn't be very happy about the one rip-off. But again. Most folks are honest. If the person seems "shifty"…or the price is "too good to be true"…then pass on the deal.;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

It doesn't matter that the plate is switched as the serial number and imei numbers are burned into the firmware. No one can change that except Apple.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
It doesn't matter that the plate is switched as the serial number and imei numbers are burned into the firmware. No one can change that except Apple.

Cool, thanks. Reason why I am looking into this is because my business partner and I are going into the Apple reselling business, we will be purchasing both new and used phones and will need to verify authenticity on a regular basis.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool, thanks. Reason why I am looking into this is because my business partner and I are going into the Apple reselling business...

Ahh…the plot thickens!;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, let me rephrase that, we are going to "try". We are looking into opening a cell phone store but dealing with both new and used products.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck. I think that the folks I know that do "Apple Reselling" make the most profit by not having a storefront. Too much investment $$$ & ongoing expenses. Unless you're selling a TON of stuff. And if you're going to be selling a ton of stuff…you need a reliable & regular supply stream.

Plus officially you're competing with all of the already established Apple Reselling folks online. So you better have better prices!:)

- Nick

p.s. How are you going to resell brand new iPhones…and make a profit??

OP
M
Reaction score
My business partner has empty building in PA so not much overheads really and in his town there isn't much competition, we also plan on outsourcing cellphone repair and yes, will will be doing online sales.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal. I would think that as long as your costs are low…and you have a steady stream of product that you can purchase at a low enough price (and still have room to make a profit). Then you guys should come out ahead & make some decent "fun money".:)

But I wouldn't plan on paying all your bills (personal & professional) via this business. I've seen too many folks (both Apple & WinTel) try to start a business of this nature…and 6 months later…Kaput!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.