It's time for an upgrade, what should I do?

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts!

I've been a patient "jedi" for some time now. I bought my first and only Macbook Pro back in 2008. I've been waiting on a update for awhile now and most recently Apple (lightly) updated their Macbook Pro. I've read muliple threads on the MacRumor forums; people either saying wait or just upgrade if you haven't in awhile.

I told myself I would upgrade this year as soon as there was an update. So these are the three options I came up with so far;

1. Get the newest MBP and just enjoy - it's been awhile.

2. Get an older model for around $1300-1800 either on Craigslist or Amazon. Enjoy it for a year or so and if Apple redesigns and does a major update to the MBP, I'll sell my current laptop, swallow my loss and get the newest MBP. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G2KNGT4/?tag=macforums0e4-20

3. Upgrade my MBP Ram and Hard-drive on my current old MBP, estimating a total of $500. Here's my MBP Specs: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/scanview/050DCFC031D926C3

*** Side notes: I'm a graphic designer. So I use Adobe CS5. Also, if option 3 is suggested, what SSD do you recommend? ***

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I don't know if any one else is having a problem but I can not see your post when I click on it. I can see part of what you posted if I hover my mouse over the title of your post.

I gather you are planning on purchasing a new laptop and have questions. Reposting might help to see what you are asking.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP's post has been approved.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
1. Get the newest MBP and just enjoy - it's been awhile.

2. Get an older model for around $1300-1800 either on Craigslist or Amazon. Enjoy it for a year or so and if Apple redesigns and does a major update to the MBP, I'll sell my current laptop, swallow my loss and get the newest MBP. Amazon.com: Apple MacBook Pro MGXA2LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (OLD VERSION): Computers & Accessories

3. Upgrade my MBP Ram and Hard-drive on my current old MBP, estimating a total of $500. Here's my MBP Specs: Computer memory and SSD upgrades scan results for Apple MacBook Pro Systems MacBook Pro (Early 2008 and Late 2008) from Crucial

*** Side notes: I'm a graphic designer. So I use Adobe CS5. Also, if option 3 is suggested, what SSD do you recommend? ***

Thanks Nick - I thought maybe my browsers were messed up! :Oops:

Now for my 2 cents -

1. New is always an option. The Haswell processors are fast. I have one in my MB Air along with the SSD and it is fast. Apple did not go with the Broadwell processors currently out in the latest models. And if you have been reading on Macrumors you know the next newest greatest will be Skylake - and what apple will pick for the next refresh is pure speculation at this point.

2. I purchased an older 15" MB Pro 2011, 16GB Mem, 1TB HD. I plan to upgrade it to an SSD eventually. I have done a lot of Photoshop, Indesign, and Premiere Pro work on it and it is snappy and respectably fast. So an older model is doable if you want to wait for the next Apple latest greatest. Remember if a DVD burner is necessary they dropped them in 2012 (although early 2012's have them).

3. As for upgrading your current. It is a 2008 - that is a seven year old computer. I am not saying it might not be a viable option but remember others hardware parts are getting old. I just had to re-grease the heat sinks and clean the internal fans of a 2009 Macbook because it started randomly shutting down. Things dry out and get old.

JMO :Cool:

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.