a single key short circuit?

Reaction score
So I am new to mac forums, and my computer is very old. Yesterday I spilled a very small amount of tea (unsweetened) on my 2008 laptop, and now the L doesn't work. ONLY that key. I turned off the computer as soon as I realized something was up, and let it dry as long as I could (about 12 hours under a fan).

Is it possible that it's a short circuit, with just one key? I've figured out a workaround for the time being, but I'm a novelist, and I was just getting into a groove of 7-10000 words a day. If there's a way I don't have to train my right hand to a different keyboard... can anyone help?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Twelve hours is NOT a very long time to expect a keyboard to "dry out", and being spilt tea, the problem may never go away and quite possibly will get worse, especially considering that straight tea is acidic and will leave some residue behind.

You have various options available including replacing what you were used to using, if it doesn't fix itself, which I'd doubt. :(

OP
K
Reaction score
Unfortunatey I couldn't wait any longer!! I had international business to take care of, and that was the only way.

If I let it keep "drying out" will that still help? The LAST thing I want is for it to get worse!!!

OP
K
Reaction score
I'm on a farm in India, by the way-- very far away from anything like a big city. My options, I suspect, are limited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Who knows what will happen, but maybe the tea spilt is no doubt better quality than we get here in N.A. and your keyboard may not get worse, and may even recuperate, but that's doubtful.

I don't know if a small rinse with some 99% Isopropyl alcohol poured into the spill area would help. But if it's already broke… ;)

OP
K
Reaction score
It's not that broke!

And I'm not sure where I'd get isopropyl alcohol... is that straight rubbing alcohol?

The tea was very good, but it's small satisfaction now! If nothing can be done, I'm going to say that it's life's way of teaching me how to be adaptable and that my right hand was getting too cocky in its old typing patterns... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Proper 99% Isopropyl alcohol is 99% pure alcohol with not additives as I believe most rubbing alcohol contains some oils which is not goo for your situation.

I mentioned it's already broke and adding some Isopropyl alcohol probably won't break it any further than it is, and may even help fix the problem.

I hope it gets better for you regardless.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Wife spilled coffee on 2 MacBooks last year. One is toast, the other only had 5 keys that wouldn't work and was only 9 mths old. After taking the entire machine apart and removing the keyboard (all 80 plus screws and all the caps in the area affected - 4 times) and meticulously cleaning every little part, I managed to get it down to 2 keys that will not work - gave up and bought her an iMac - now she can only damage a keyboard instead of a whole computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.