iPhone mail vs iPad mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
I created a gmail account that imports from all my other mail accounts specifically for my IOS devices (iPhone & iPad) I usually use the iPad to filter through what I to trash, junk & file, but occasionally I do so on my iPhone. A question has arisen many time, but not until this AM did it cause me to lose, I think, an important message. As you know, on the iPad, there are icons that are quite clear abut flagging, moving & trashing messages, while on the iPhone there is only a flag, file move and a file box icon, which I've never really used. This morning I wanted to move a message to a folder but dropped it into the file box in error. Now I don't know where it is. Luckily I could still see it in the inbox of my iPad, but if I only had my iPhone, I's be up a creek w/o a paddle. Where does that file box put messages? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac quad i7 | Yosemite
Hi,

It sounds like you archived that message. If you log in to gmail through the browser on a computer (or use the gmail app for iPhone and iPad) you can move it back to the inbox. Since I find Mail isn't flexible enough for my needs, I use the gmail app.

Edited to further specify that you'll find that message in All Mail.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
uhmorphous,
I thought the message was also moved to archived, but when I look at the gmail account in Mail on iPad, there is no folder called archives. I did find it under All Mail and moved it back to inbox.
Another question: while trying to locate message, I looked at the Important folder inside [Gmail] which is grayed out. I find a WHOLE list of emails that should have been deleted, some dating back 9 months. What is going on?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.