Deleting photos from PHOTOS on macbook.

Reaction score
I was forced to "upgrade" to the new Photos application. I think I have figured out how to navigate it. Recently, however, I uploaded a ton of pictures but only want to save a handful. How do I permamently delete photos from this application? I cannot move to the trash or press delete.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, you weren't "forced" to use or upgrade to Photos since iPhoto still remains on your machine unless you deleted it. In order to delete a photo from Photos, right click on it and select delete. Remember, like iPhoto the Photos program also has its own trash which must be emptied before a photo is actually deleted.

OP
F
Reaction score
thank you

I said "forced" since my iPhoto totally disappeared from my dock with the last upgrade. I went to the mac store and they said that iPhoto is no longer being supported and replaced by "Photos". Thanks for your feedback!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@fordsteve

True, the iPhoto icon is not in the Dock; but it should certainly still be in Applications and useable.

Some folks who did not update iPhoto before upgrading their OS, find, that although iPhoto is still in Applications, it has a grey line across it and is non-functioning. If this happens to you, the remedy is to remove the iPhoto app from Applications, go into Apple Store, click on the Purchases Tab and re-download the latest version.

Either way, iPhoto is still available to you.

Ian

Reaction score
and some more Delete tasks

no point in getting emotional about Apple's ridiculous product strategy on picture storage.

But a related topic in this thread is how to manage libraries with Photos with the items only being 'linked in', meaning letting Photos handle symbolic or hardlinks to the original file that usually would sit on a remote hard disk or NAS.

1) how to?

2) Would a 'delete' here also purge the item in its original place?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
no point in getting emotional about Apple's ridiculous product strategy on picture storage.

@macchina

Change always brings some element of controversy—gone to far; not gone far enough; leave well alone and so on. Photos is a natural development of iPhoto with some enhancements over the latter and direct compatibility with iOS 8. And, for the meantime anyway, iPhoto is still useable in exactly the way it was before. So one has the best of both worlds, albeit only for a finite time.

Others have pointed out that because of the hard linked structure between iPhoto and the new Photos, you can safely delete iPhoto and its library if that is your wish. The actual images will remain linked to Photos.

If there is more justification for discontent, it is in the imminent departure of Aperture. This leaves Apple without a pro-line photo-editing app despite there being pro versions of audio and video editing which are world class.

Ian

Reaction score
referenced library

@Ian, thanks for the comments ... and yes, I'm running Aperture since a while and am now looking for a way forward.

With respect to referenced libraries, this is what I'm trying to achieve. As I have a whole zoo of machines in my household, I'd wish to access the pictures from different entry points.

Must have:
- when deleting pictures from any of the devices (mobile or Mac), I wish to have them purged from the central disk. This avoids multiple delete actions. That is why I thought of building up the library using references to the originals. The delete action I fiddle around with (sitting at a Mac) did not give the result I wished for yet, meaning the originals remained in place.

/thanks, andreas.

Reaction score
referenced library on a NAS

@Alice: to follow instructions is nothing baked into my nature, but that's a different discussion.

none of the above posts solves my issue.

1) my pictures are stored on a NAS box, ie a disk array outside any of my Macs. The NAS is attached (mounted) to any Mac using afp with proper login credentials.

2) problem: when deleting pictures from within Photos, they still remain on the NAS box.

Is this a principle misunderstanding on my side how referenced libraries could work?

/thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.