Quicktime Player so limited to videos it can play

Reaction score
Hi,

QuickTime player is the default video player for OSX in the same way Windows Media Player (WMP) is for windows. Why can't QuickTIme play FLV, WMV and Avi? I do not know about playing FLV in WMP, but WMP can definitely play WMV and Avi.

Why is the default media player for Mac (i.e. QuickTime) so limited? I have VLC installed which in my opinion is the best player out there but I was just wondering why does Mac leave us with Quicktime that cannot play many video formats? It's not very media friendly for an operating system dedicated to media production.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OP
S
Reaction score
Insightful information.

Although, it is possible for Apple to customize QuickTime to play all formats of videos right? If not, they can create another media player compatible with all video formats inherent within OSX. That would make more business sense wouldn't it?

Reaction score
Not really because other people/companies own copyrights to the other formats.
Apple may not want to pay royalties/licenses to incorporate these formats into Quicktime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Apple may not want to pay royalties/licenses to incorporate these formats into Quicktime.
So, do the developers of Perian and MPEGStreamclip, etc, pay royalties?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" MAC desktop 3.06 GHSintel Core2 duo 12GB 1067 MHz DDR3 YOSEMITE
Hi,

QuickTime player is the default video player for OSX in the same way Windows Media Player (WMP) is for windows. Why can't QuickTIme play FLV, WMV and Avi? I do not know about playing FLV in WMP, but WMP can definitely play WMV and Avi.

Why is the default media player for Mac (i.e. QuickTime) so limited? I have VLC installed which in my opinion is the best player out there but I was just wondering why does Mac leave us with Quicktime that cannot play many video formats? It's not very media friendly for an operating system dedicated to media production.

Here you go. VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!
this is the best out there.
Go to you tube and search for pc classes on line by David A Cox he does both but is really good at MAC i learned a lot from him. That is where i got the link and he explains why its better he does not just put it up there. Also for Macs consider downloading Adwaremedic not only does he recommend it but so does Apple i spoke to them this morning. I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.