iPad 2 froze and will not reboot

Reaction score
Hello,

my daughter uses an ipad for school so this is some what urgent. Hopefully there's a simple fix.

She has an ipad 2. The round circle button on the bottom doesn't work. Generally, when the top right button is pressed, the ipad turns on and the background is displayed. At this point all that's needed to get on is to swipe the bar at the bottom to unlock the ipad. No password is required.

Currenty, whats happening is, when the top right button is pressed the background is displayed but is blurry and there is no swipe bar to unlock the screen. She has that floating circle button on her screen, and it responds when pressed, however, I don't see a fix through this option.

I've also read that I can reboot it by connecting to iTunes, however, when I try connecting to iTunes it says it's unable to connect to the ipad because its locked with a password and I need to unlock the ipad before connecting.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So I take it that because the Home Button does not work you are using the on screen alternative. This poses a problem because the normal "hard" reset method is to hold both the power button and Home Button at the same time. I'm not sure if this method will work with the on screen button but you could give it a try.
Likewise without the home button you cannot put it in DFU mode or Recovery Mode (both require turning on the iPad with the home button depressed) the only two other methods I know of restoring the iPad. My best suggestion if the first option does not work is to get the home button replaced/repaired. There are plenty of iPhone repairers who will replace a screen or home button for about $50.00 while you wait. Good luck.
Rod

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.