optical sound output from an iMac 5K?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 2x2.8 GHz quad core, 16GB RAM, 1 SSD boot disc, 3 2TB hard drives, Logitech sound system
Will the iMac 5K power an optical sound system? I have a Mac Pro with a superb optical sound system and I am tempted by the retina display of the 5K but I would not want to lose my surround sound while photoshopping. I hear that the optical drive is within the earphone jack but what sort of lead would it need to plug into my optical feed on the amplifier?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 2x2.8 GHz quad core, 16GB RAM, 1 SSD boot disc, 3 2TB hard drives, Logitech sound system
Thanks guys that answers my question, and Craig as I have an optical feed from Mac Pro to the amplifier that means it is an optical feed to the amplifier, so this adaptor you pointed me too would do the job. However the question left in my mind is that optical feeds are used because of their high quality signal transmittance whereas a mini jack is low on the hierarchy of systems of signal transmittance, so I guess I would be losing quality, but that may be a question for a hi-fi forum?

Reaction score
It's not really a mini jack, just shaped like one so it fits the hole.
It's hollow so the laser feeds right into the glass cable. No signal degradation what so ever.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Craig, brilliant thanks for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.