Epson WF-2540 (wifi) printer not found

Reaction score
When I attempt to print over wifi from my iMac (purchased recently in Dec 2014, running Yosemite OS X 10.10.3), the printer status window tells me “The printer is not connected. Epson WF-2540 printer not found”. However when I print from my MacBook Air (purchased May 2013, running the same system), it prints with no problems. The MacBook Air is downstairs. The iMac is two feet away from the printer, grr.

I’ve tried reinstalling the software (but I can’t do that anymore if the App store sees that I have the latest version). I’ve tried “resetting printing system” in system preferences.

Please note: the scanner portion of the printer works fine from both computers so the wifi is in operation.

I’ve searched the Epson support (FAQ) pages and found nothing. I’ve searched MacForums and found one related posting (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/310404-epson-wf-2540-wifi-goes-offline-frequently.html) but those suggestions didn’t help me nor the original poster.

I hope someone out there can help! Thank you so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Even though you can scan over wi-fi, which I must say seems a bit odd, are both computers connecting to the same wireless base as shown in their Airport menu icon?

And maybe try a restart or shutdown and reboot. It can often fix some goofy things.

OP
S
Reaction score
I’m not using Airport. Using a wifi modem supplied by Comcast. Is there somewhere else I can check? (Restart didn’t change anything.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may not be using "Airport" equipment, but I'm sure you're probably using some "wireless" connection/communication, but I'm not familiar with Comcast modems, but I imagine they would work the same as any wireless base.

I guess head off the Epson support and maybe try:
Epson WorkForce WF-2540, Top FAQs - Technical Support - Epson America, Inc.
Epson WorkForce WF-2540, FAQ - Technical Support - Epson America, Inc.
etc.

There should also be a Connection Doctor app you can run on your iMac that may help let you know what's wrong with your wireless printing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Silly question but does the printer icon appear in the left hand pane of System Preferences > Scanners & Printers > Print?

Should it not appear, hit the little (+) button with the printer turned on. It may be necessary to first find it using USB and then setup WiFI.

OP
S
Reaction score
@pm-r: Thank you for the links. I've attempted both earlier before posting here. It was a very frustrating experience and didn't return the results I needed. Which is why I'm here!
@harryb2448: Not a silly question. Yes, the icon appears in the left column of the Scanners & Printers box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@pm-r: Thank you for the links. I've attempted both earlier before posting here. It was a very frustrating experience and didn't return the results I needed. Which is why I'm here!
@harryb2448: Not a silly question. Yes, the icon appears in the left column of the Scanners & Printers box.

If it shows there but doesn't work, I'd suggest deleting the "listed printer" and then set it up again as a new printer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S
Reaction score
Temp fix: USB cable. Grr but sigh but yay, at least it works. Thanks, pm-r, for the quick bit of research. Nice to see I'm not alone out there! USB will have to do for now. Hopefully, Epson (no Apple! no Epson!) will get their act together soon. Thank you all who responded to this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Printer manufacturers are responsible for providing the correct drivers and procedures for their hardware, not Apple. Printer manufacturers have access to beta updates of OS X long before we do, so there is no excuse for shoddy work from them. It happens all the time not only with OS X but also in Windows. Epson is generally on top of things so this surprises me that they haven't updated their driver properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.