Jaguar Reinstall Does Not Allow Update to 10.2.8?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 120Gb HD, 2Gb Ram, OS 10.4.11/PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz, 1.5Gb RAM, 500Gb HD
I have been working on this computer for over a week, and haven't gotten anywhere with it. I now bow to those with more knowledge than I. Please help.

I am working on a customer's Titanium PowerBook G4 500Mhz with 512Mb of Ram. Initially, the problems that made the customer bring it in were that she could not print to her HP USB Printer, and that Safari keeps crashing out on her. I couldn't figure out why the printer wouldn't work except through the HP Printer Utilities. I did an Archive and Install as a last resort, and the printer finally started working again. But then I ran into another problem...

After the Archive and Install, of course, you need to install the Combo Update to bring the OS back up to 10.2.8. But whenever I'd try to run the Software Update, it would error out on the Combo update. the other items, like the IE update, the Quicktime update and the Safari install, would all work fine. I figured I would need to download the Combo update separately and install it manually.

Unfortunately this doesn't work either. I checked in Console and this is the error message I get...

2006-3-18 13:48:05. 477 Installer[513] *** NSTimer ignoring exception 'NSRangeException' (reason '*** -[NSCFArray objectAtIndex:]: index (0) beyond bounds (0)') that raised during posting of timer with target 14c1b70 and selector 'taskCompleted:'

The number after "target" is always a little different, but this is basically what I get every time I try to run the Combo Update. I did another Archive & Install, but to no avail, the problem still occurs. Any Ideas?

Lastly, the Safari problem still happens. it says..

3006-03-18 :13:43:41 823 Safari[497 CoreGraphics is missing call to disable glyph auto expiration. Pages will load more slowly.

Problem is, pages don't load slowly, that can't load at all, because the program crashes out.

Is there anyone who can tell me what I can do about these problems? (I'm mainly interested in the Combo Update problem, but would love it if someone could resolve the Safari issue too.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.