Moving pictures around with Photos

Reaction score
Here is my problem. I have 8000 pictures taking up 39g of hdd space. Some of these pictures are from my iPhone and camera, some are from my gf's iPhone and some are from my sisters iPhone(because she simply could not figure out how to get them off her iPhone onto her windows laptop). I have been trying all day on and off to figure out how to move sisters pictures into a separate "anything" so that I can get them burned to dvd's and off my iMac and the help from Photos is very thin and vague to me. Also, I have some pics on my iPhone and iPad (through photo stream ) that are not coming into Photos on iMac since the changeover and would like to figure out why as I believe I have followed all the steps thus far that I have discovered.

p.s. Don't flame this post if you don't have anything helpful as I have spent the last hour going over this forum and not found much in my issue. Share some help, a link or a kind shove where to look please.

OP
J
Reaction score
also

I had figured out how to create new Libraries and ideally would like to separate everyones pics to their own libraries but got no further than creating and got stuck on moving pics between them

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

Don't flame this post if you don't have anything helpful as I have spent the last hour going over this forum and not found much in my issue.

Not a good way to start off with your first post as we do not allow "flaming" of any kind. These forums are not UseNet. You may get some suggestions that in your opinion are not helpful but that's the nature of peer to peer forum participation.

Since Photos is new with Yosemite 10.10.3 most of us are experiencing a slight learning curve as I'm sure others are in the various Apple forums. Hopefully you'll receive the information you're looking for.

Edit: You might want to take a look at this LINK for a guide on how to use the new Photos.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What I would be doing, is Exporting all your GF's images and sisters images into a Folder in the Pictures Folder named appropriately.
Then, go ahead and create a new Library. Then select all the images in the Sisters Folder and drag them into the Photos App. Once thats done, quit Photos, and create a new Library, then repeat the process that you did for your sisters Library.
Done . . . Then when you open Photos, hold down ⌥ Option and select the Library you want to boot into . .

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok, this is where I was getting stuck, the exporting part , i'm stuck there kinda. I created another folder and dragged some pictures into it but it just made copies. Are they truly copies and I can delete the others as I do this? And then drag them, separated into their respective new libraries? Haven't even looked into how to burn them yet, as this is a new,old iMac and my last ones burner worked sporadically. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The only way to see if these are good copies, without relying on anyone here and there knowledge, is to click it to highlight it, then ⌘I to get info (thats command + i) and see the file size. If its what it should be, then its a true copy of the image. Then Delete the other one.

To Burn, download Burn from SourceForge and Burn them to a DVD. You can also do it via the SO by creating a Burn Folder on the Desktop, but I like Burn and its super easy to use.

OP
J
Reaction score
I looked at one I have moved and both are jpeg and same dimensions but moved pic dropped from 2.1m to 1.5m. Any thoughts?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I had figured out how to create new Libraries and ideally would like to separate everyones pics to their own libraries but got no further than creating and got stuck on moving pics between them

The first step in that process is to export them to a folder on the desktop. Then startup Iphoto holding the option key. That will allow you to open the new library. Then import the photos from the folder on the desktop to the new library. The problem if any with this method is it requires quite bit of temporary storage. After you import them into iTunes you can delete the photos folder on the desktop and after checking that they are all present and accounted for you can delete them from the old iPhoto library too.
Sorry TM I wrote this before noting your answer. My method is much the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.