New to Mac Forums, but needing help with decision of iMac or Mac Mini?

Reaction score
I'm in the market currently for a new Mac, but I'm undecided between a iMac or a Mac Mini. This would mostly be used for music, photos, email, Facebook, etc. Nothing too extensive. I do have a 27" Dell monitor w/ HDMI at a 2048X1152 resolution currently. I will not be doing any gaming, and very minimal photo editing. Should I go with the Mac Mini for my needs, or should I just suck it up and spend the money on a new iMac? :)

I currently run Windows 8.1 on my HP desktop, but it just seems to be slow, even after doing a complete system restore, and removing all HP bloatware. I would probably run Windows 7 with bootcamp. Just looking for suggestions here.

Thanks all.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Seems to me that the performance of a new Mac-Mini would be fine with the computing tasks you mentioned. And since you already have a nice large 27" display…that would work fine with the Mini as well.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Should you go the Mac Mini route, be aware memory is not upgradeable after purchase. Memory is available in 4, 8 and 16GB formats. As the graphics memory, up to 1,5GB, is taken from the standard memory, it may well be worth spending a little more and getting the 16GB at the time of order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
I'm using a 2014 Mac Mini now and for what you describe it's perfectly fine. Others have said about the memory upgrade and that's a good idea, otherwise, the machine will be more than perfect (and frankly, I DIDN'T get the memory upgrade for mine, so I'm still at 4GB, and I haven't had single slowdown or anything). Similar situation as yours - I had a nice juicy monitor already and keyboard I liked; why toss 'em?

I should note I DO game and it's fine for that too. Again, I got no issue and, at least for the gaming I do (I've never been a FPS fan) my system lets me run most things at high or top setting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini, 2.6 GHz, 8 GB memory, 1 TB HDD
I had the same decision a few months ago. I got the middle model of the Mac Mini (late 2014 version with 8GB memory) and found it more than adequate for my modest needs, with plenty to spare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.