Verify hardrive capacity without leaving the welcome/registrations screens

Reaction score
Is there any way I can get hardware specs for a mac mini with a clean install without leaving the welcome/registration screens?

I'm selling an old mac mini and did a clean wipe so the new owner would get the welcome screen and can start from scratch, registering a new user, choosing a region, etc.

I thought I had written down all of the hardware specs to provide accurate info while selling, but somehow I failed to jot down the storage capacity. I'm fairly certain it's 320GB but I need to know for sure if I'm gonna sell it. Really trying to avoid registering a username, using the finder and then having to go through the wipe all over again. I've tried command + R a couple times with no luck. I don't know if I just need to keep trying (I'm bad with the timing on that in general) or if that's not an option for a mac pre-registration.

Any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
First let me say that if you do not want to setup a new account on the Mini (want it reedy for the new owner to setup their account)…I don't think that there's a way to verify the HD size via the OS or via software.

If all you want to do is verify the size/capacity if the Mac-Mini's HD…I think that we can do this in one of two ways (assuming that the HD wasn't upgraded since new)…it has the same HD when in it when it was purchased new.

1. If it's an older Mac-Mini (2009 and earlier)…there might be a label on the back of Mini (near the ports)…on the bottom of the Mini, or inside where you get access to the ram. This label has the hardware specs of the Mini when it shipped. I don't think that 2010 and newer Mini's have a this label (my 2010 Mini doesn't).

2. If you know the serial number of the Mini…we can look up its original specs online.

- Nick

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I did have the serial number and that gave me all the info I needed. I would never have thought to do that.

Much appreciated!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Good deal. Your welcome.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.