Using iPhone when traveling in UK

Reaction score
I'll be visiting my grandson in the UK soon and would like to have use of a phone over there. I just purchased an unlocked iPhone 4 and can order a SIM card from several vendors. None of them have been able to answer my question of how I acquire a phone number to use while abroad. Is one automatically assigned when you get the SIM card? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming you bought the GSM version of the iPhone 4, (CDMA will not work in the UK) all you need to do is buy a SIM card when you get to the UK. You'll then be able to use your phone while you're there. One of our UK members can probably tell you the cost and which carrier would be best to purchase the SIM card from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yes, all you need to do is purchase a pre-paid SIM that include voice. Vodafone, telekom, o2, are all well.. reputable vendors, at least that I've used in Europe (not specifically UK, so I'm not sure what the coverage is like throughout the islands). When you insert the SIM, and authenticate on the system (once activation occurs), the phone number will show in the Phone preferences panes as usual.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt replies. I screwed up and bought a used CDMA iPhone on eBay. If the seller won't cancel the transaction I'll resell it.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a GSM phone. I'll be traveling to Australia and New Zealand in October and it appears that they both use GSM.

This is all very confusing.

My wife and I both have iPhone 6 from AT&T but they are under contract and I'm told I can't use an overseas SIM card with them. Is that true?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, I believe the US may be the only country where CDMA is still being used on a wide basis. GSM is the standard world wide.

Check with AT&T as I believe you may be able to use their phones while in the UK (without roaming). I know that you can use the Verizon and T-Mobile model iPhone 6 in the UK by purchasing a SIM card while there as I stated before. However, AT&T is more strict about their phones under contract.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
First, I believe the US may be the only country where CDMA is still being used on a wide basis.
Two of the big three in Canada, Bell and Telus, both use CDMA but they both operate GSM networks which are now the "preferred" ones and IIRC, they're phasing out their "legacy" (CDMA) networks (Bell by 2017 and Telus, supposedly, sometime this year).

gymnast46, how long are you going for? The length of your stay may make some mobile operators more attractive than others.

OP
G
Reaction score
We'll be in England for only two weeks. The trip to Australia and New Zealand will be ten weeks.

I just submitted an online request to AT&T to unlock one of my iPhones. They said they'd respond within 24 hours.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
You can walk into any phone shop on the high street and purchase a 'pay as you go' SIM. The only thing to be mindful of is that you need a micro/nano SIM card to fit with an iPhone. You load these with credit and that is all you can spend / consume before you need to top them up again.

Depending on where you are going in the UK, different networks have different coverage. I'm with EE and they have the best 4G for the country as a whole, at the moment. If you are mostly going to be in London then the network is probably less critical as most of the vendors cover the capital well.

OP
G
Reaction score
This forum is a wealth of information.

I heard back from AT&T. After following all the required steps they denied my request because I'm still under contract. I found an interesting article online about a guy who had a similar experience and was able to get them to unlock it. I guess it's worth a phone call.

BTW, the guy who sold me the CDMA phone ignored my request to cancel the transaction and immediately shipped it. My fault for not doing my research better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Why do you need another SIM card? Ensure you have Roaming set on and use your phone. I use my UK phone in continental Europe without issue, other than the cost and even that is cheaper than it used to be. For a two week stay I wouldn't have thought it worth doing anything else you certainly shouldn't have to unlock your phone. When I'm in Europe my phone picks up whichever is the strongest signal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Why do you need another SIM card? Ensure you have Roaming set on and use your phone. I use my UK phone in continental Europe without issue, other than the cost and even that is cheaper than it used to be. For a two week stay I wouldn't have thought it worth doing anything else you certainly shouldn't have to unlock your phone. When I'm in Europe my phone picks up whichever is the strongest signal.

From US carriers, it's typically outrageous for calls and data. So yes, two weeks? Maybe not worth it, but I do for almost all of my trips (which are typically a month minimum). If nothing else, it's well worth it to have the data available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.