Photo in Yosemite

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Where & Why?

Finder, iPhoto, the new Photos app, Picasa, Lightroom...

We do not know where you are nor what you are doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Where & Why?

Finder, iPhoto, the new Photos app, Picasa, Lightroom...

We do not know where you are nor what you are doing.

Surely OP means the new Photos app. It seems a common question and is the one reason I shall not be upgrading until it is fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I can no longer sort by photo title. Only option is sort by date or not. Solution?

It is my impression that as a replacement for iPhoto it may be fully functional but currently a no frills version. I think that user and industry feedback will result in updates fairly soon. I kinda like the fact that they left us with the iPhoto app thus allowing us to get used to Photos slowlybut I dont beleive it is the finished artical yet. Hopefully the next update will address your question. I also advise everyone to load thier new photos to both apps in order to eliminate the inevitable "How do I transfer my new pictures from iPhoto library to the new Photos app?"
So I suppose my advice would be just keep both apps up to date and wait for Photos updates. The greyed out 'sort by" option and general lack of options in preferences suggests to me that there is more to come.;)

OP
Z
Reaction score
It's the new Photos program that replaced the iphoto. Under the View tab, you can check or uncheck the option 'Keep sorted by date.' In iphoto, you had the option to sort by date, title, and a couple other things I don't remember. My photos have titles and I want them arranged alphabetically in my albums, and that option is no longer there.

Also, I can no longer copy a photo, from my desktop or other folder, and paste into Photos, like I could with iphoto. Now it has to be dragged into the album.

They may improve some things on these updates, but they always manage to make other things worse.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It's the new Photos program that replaced the iphoto. Under the View tab, you can check or uncheck the option 'Keep sorted by date.' In iphoto, you had the option to sort by date, title, and a couple other things I don't remember. My photos have titles and I want them arranged alphabetically in my albums, and that option is no longer there.

Also, I can no longer copy a photo, from my desktop or other folder, and paste into Photos, like I could with iphoto. Now it has to be dragged into the album.

They may improve some things on these updates, but they always manage to make other things worse.

Thats a very pessimistic view you have there. My experience with updates is that they add things or change things but only after market research. As for copy and paste to iPhoto, why would you do that? I always use Import which works the same for iPhoto and Photos. How do you paste an image into iPhoto?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.