Recent convert, command+c, command+v strange to reach on keyboard

Reaction score
I'll start by mentioning that my old keyboard was a bit larger and control was easy to reach with my pinky for copy/paste.

Adapting to the smaller wireless keyboard hasn't been too bad with one large exception: with command rather than control used for copy/paste there is no hope of reaching it with my pinky.

I should just bite the bullet and relearn to use my thumb to reach it instead but going between operating systems might feel a bit like switching between a backwards bicycle and a regular one.

I am wondering if I should just explore the idea of mapping a key in the area like function+c, function+v to work as copy paste, and function+t, function+w for new tab and window etc. so that I can move between OSX and Windows more seamlessly.

Being new to OSX I don't want to do it "wrong" that will lead to a dead end or really bad habit down the road (think like picking up bad programming habits early on). Is this idea OK or something I should avoid doing?

I don't think replacing the control and command keys is a good idea but function seems mostly unused so maybe having it be a clone of the command key could do.

OP
M
Reaction score
DoubleCommand seemed pretty buggy so I ended up using Karabiner to map the function key to also work as command.

The normal command key was unchanged. I could have done this under System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys but the function key isn't listed with the rest of the modifier keys there.

So far I think this solves my issue but I wanted to post an update in case anyone stumbles on my post doing the same thing.

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum!

Glad you found a solution, but you may have one regret later. By messing with the key functions you aren't learning the new keyboard, so if, for any reason, your mapping changes (new upgrade/update to the OS, for example, may break or reset Karabiner), you may be frustrated until you get it reset. In addition, when you want to use someone else's Mac to show them something, your fingers will not be trained for the standard configuration of the keyboard. Sometimes it's better to take the time to learn new things instead of doing all sorts of things to avoid those new things.

Oh, and it's not the difference in operating systems, it's the difference in keyboards. My wife uses a Windows keyboard on her Mac Mini just fine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Another solution would be to buy an Apple wired keyboard ($49.00 for the Apple version, $39 for the iHome version). I don't really like the Apple wireless keyboard because it slows me down but the convenience of no USB wired connection makes up for it. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.