Hot plugging a firewire device

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Hey guys.

I have just bought a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 Audio interface (bus powered but also has an AC adapter). It is a firewire 400 interface but I am connecting it to my MBP 2014 using a Thunderbolt adapter (9pin Firewire > Thunderbolt)

There is the following warning on the manufacturers website; FireWire safety when plugging and unplugging your FireWire devices | Focusrite

I am unsure if there warning applies to the Thunderbolt end of the connection though? Am I able to hotplug the Thunderbolt end to my mac as long as I dont hotplug the firewire end to the devise? Is i cant hot plug at all, is there any workaround here (earthing the devise to get rid of its charge before I disconnect it etc)

Any advise would be really appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have no experience with the particular device you just bought. I do attach a canopus video converter that handles incoming analog video and audio then streams it to a thunderbolt port for capture by a macbook. It is externally powered.

When I am done using it, I always try to remember to power it off because it does get warm and I want to let it cool down. I have nothing to base this on, it is just a habit. I have forgotten and left it on and shut down the mac many times with no adverse issues. I leave it plugged into the macbook unless I need the laptop somewhere else. I have never even worried about plugging or unplugging it at the mac connection. I have done it with the device off and on.

I have used many firewire and thunderbolt devices and I have never read the link information you provided until today. I have never had an issue. The only issue I have ever paid attention to is in the case of a mounted hard drive. I make sure to unmount it before powering off or removing it.

So I guess I have either been very lucky or it isn't an issue. If I were you I would power off the device when I was done using it and detach it from the laptop or not depending on if I needed to move the MB Pro.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Late 2014 model iMacr and Mini are, according to Apple, hot-pluggable when running Windows via BootCamp. Suggest heading the manufacturer's warning. Have a read of this link:-

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204154

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 model iMacr and Mini are, according to Apple, hot-pluggable when running Windows via BootCamp. Suggest heading the manufacturer's warning. Have a read of this link:-

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204154

Many thanks for the info Harry. Os it just under these circumstances that Thunderbolt is hot plugable?! Also, will my TB setup be carrying the same amount of power as a regular TB connection bearing in mind that Im actually using/powering a Firewire device. ie is it still classed as a TB connection even though im using a TB converter?

I was also wondering if there are any workarounds for this situation. Unfortunately my audio interface does not have an off switch which would be a cure all. Is there a way to power down the Thunderbolt ports from the Terminal etc? Putting Mac to sleep does turn off all the lights on the Interface but im wondering whether it might still be receiving power?? If not, this would be my solution

many thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.